Econo vs Premium Wheel Upgrades for your Shopsmith Casters: Are They Worth It?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Econo vs Premium Wheel Upgrades for your Shopsmith Casters: Are They Worth It?

Post by edma194 »

Some follow-up on the ball bearing casters shown above. I've had them on my sanding shorty for a while now and it's been moving around a lot recently, in some pretty filthy conditions also. The wheels still roll very well, even through sawdust and assorted other dirt, grime, and junk on the floor. I think they roll better than any of the standard casters would in these conditions. The wheel material is relatively soft and pics below show that dirt from the floor is digging into them but without affecting the roll. They still don't change direction any better than standard wheels would because they're still just mounted on the standard stems. A ball bearing on the stem would make a difference, but I don't know what might be available at that size.

used wheels 1.jpg
used wheels 1.jpg (93.01 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
user wheels 2.jpg
user wheels 2.jpg (91.99 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
user wheel 3.jpg
user wheel 3.jpg (191.04 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Econo vs Premium Wheel Upgrades for your Shopsmith Casters: Are They Worth It?

Post by JPG »

You need penetrol!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:21 pm You need penetrol!
For the rust? I do need something, I have a lot of stuff to de-rust one way or another.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

edma194 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:58 pm
JPG wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:21 pm You need penetrol!
For the rust? I do need something, I have a lot of stuff to de-rust one way or another.
YES!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange