my bad jointer technique?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: my bad jointer technique?

Post by RFGuy »

hfmann wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:18 am
RFGuy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:58 pm Just curious how long was the board?
I was doing various pieces from 10 inches 17 inches long.

hal
Hal,

Yeah, those should be doable for sure on the SS jointer and it sounds like you solved the problem anyway. Note you can always joint longer boards, but if there is significant cupping in the board you will lose A LOT of material before it is ever jointed on a short bed jointer such as the SS jointer.
For longer pieces, if you are interested, I found the Nick Engler video on YT. Definitely worth watching in my opinion. In it, he also shows the outfeed table support that I mentioned and it would help quite a bit for jointing longer boards and/or boards with significant cupping. Also below is a past thread discussing his outfeed table with dimensions.

viewtopic.php?t=3127

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

JPG wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:51 pm A properly adjusted infeed/outfeed/cutter height will maintain constant all along the workpiece IF the workpiece edge is straight to begin with. However that is the goal, not the starting condition. ...
Good point JPG. That "IF" is important. thanks.

hal
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

edma194 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:25 pm I rarely use a joiner. ... Maybe if I kept a joiner mounted I'd be more likely to use it...
Me too Ed. I can't think of the last time I used this jointer.

I'm going way off topic here but anyway. I've been a very on again / off again woodworker. Sometimes years between using my SS. You can tell from the elapsed time between my yells for help here. So everytime I'd pull out a SS accessory like the jointer, I'd have to relearn alignment and how to use it all over again for the very short time I needed it. However, Scott Markwood and Nick Engler's YouTube videos have brought my woodworking back to life. I noted how Scott kept his jointer mounted all the time. So I did the same. It gave me a place to put it where it wasn't in the way of some other things. Rarely used it though. Nick's Infinity Clock caught my fancy so I started that project, got the pieces milled up and got sidetracked by turning. And got serious about that. Serendiptously, the weight of the jointer helped to stablize the SS for turning the larger pieces I was trying. But the Infinity Clock pieces stared at me forlornly for a long time. So I decided to go at that again. And that's where I'm at.

I screwed up the first glue up and have started all over again. This time with a more critical and precise approach. And that's where the jointer again raised it's neglected head. All your help here and in other threads has helped me get to the 3/4" x 3/4" inch square and true pieces I need. Now onto the mortise and tenon cuts...

Thanks all.

hal
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:55 am ... if you are interested, I found the Nick Engler video on YT. Definitely worth watching in my opinion.
Thanks for that link RF. I can't count the number of times I've gone back and looked at those older Nick videos. They've been invaluable to me and saved me a lot of time. It's so interesting to me seeing how the video technology and internet has changed over the years to enable the new content he and others are providing. Those older pieces have certainly stood the test of time.

hal
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I know it may make a little dust but for something that short a disc sander would do the trick just as well as anything . just something to consider . JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Thanks Hobbyman - I find myself using the disk sander a lot in this project.

hal
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

In the video of the outfeed table extension, Nick starts discussing a ledge on the outfeed end of the jointer at ~3:22 that his extension table rests on. Some jointers (older?) do not have that ledge. Mine, for example, does not. It must be a feature of the outfeed table casting from later in the Mark_ Jointer production life cycle, maybe the "C" Jointer.(?) Another approach would be necessary, but I'm thinking this might not be a bad thing.

- David
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Me too David. No ledge on mine.

hal
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I'm curious if others have used the standard fence and the extension fence Nick shows in this video. I've never really liked the little standard fence on mine, it feels like when you get near the end of the fence I am able to "bend" the fence away from the table surface slightly.

Does the extension fence completely replace the original fence, or does it somehow attach to the original fence?

b
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

bainin wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:48 pm I'm curious if others have used the standard fence and the extension fence Nick shows in this video. I've never really liked the little standard fence on mine, it feels like when you get near the end of the fence I am able to "bend" the fence away from the table surface slightly.

Does the extension fence completely replace the original fence, or does it somehow attach to the original fence?

b
I've used the extension, but only like twice. The extension attaches to the standard fence, so does not solve what you are describing. The extension seems most useful when edge jointing wide boards.

- David