Dimensioning thin stock with a disk sander.

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Dimensioning thin stock with a disk sander.

Post by rlkeeney »

Can this be done with a Shopsmith sanding disk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QmDvJb ... =81&t=425s
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Dimensioning thin stock with a disk sander.

Post by edma194 »

A conical sanding disk will work better. There are also rotary planers.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

edma194 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:02 pm A conical sanding disk will work better. There are also rotary planers.
Have you done this with a Conical disk? I can see where they would work better.

I am seriously considering buying the disks in the video but not for this purpose.

I know about the rotary planers. Right now, I resaw and sand off the saw marks.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
jmoore65
Gold Member

Post by jmoore65 »

I have used a conixal sanding disc with a sled and the table fence to flatten narrow frame parts glued to a plywood panel.

It worked well though took me a couple times to learn to keep it flat against the table and fence.

I might add an L shaped auxiliary fence to give me more room between mtge fence and the disc to better hold the piece next time (1/8" panel).
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I WOULD NOT ATTEMPT THAT WITH A FLAT SHOPSMITH SANDING DISK.

Trapping the work piece between the table and the disk would make the work piece very hard to control. A good way to propel a flying object.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

What size stock are you trying to arrive at? And starting from what size? If you have large enough stock to resaw it why would you want to sand it down to size instead of just finishing it?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

IMO , if you add a micro bevel to your shop chisels you would need 2 angled blocks .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

edma194 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:32 am What size stock are you trying to arrive at? And starting from what size? If you have large enough stock to resaw it why would you want to sand it down to size instead of just finishing it?
I make small items that have pieces as thin as 1/8-inch. I have boxes full of short hardwood cutoffs with all sorts of thicknesses. A box where I want all the sides to be the same thickness comes to mind. I would resaw it to get the required thickness and sand it flat. To do this with a conical sander would be another tool in my box.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

If your workpieces are thin, the standard SS 3” sanding drum makes a very serviceable mini drum sander. Just mount the sanding drum to the spindle, and leave your machine horizontal. Drop the table down beneath the sanding drum, and adjust the gap to the desired workpiece thickness.

You have to feed the workpiece into the drum from the back side of the machine, of course, so that the sanding drum is pushing against the feed direction. Then just grab a scrap of wood that’s as thin or thinner than the gap, and use it to push the workpiece all the way through. Easy peasy. The geometry is just like a regular drum sander, but without a feed belt.

You can thickness stock that’s up to 3” wide in one pass. You can also thickness wider stock in multiple passes, shifting it laterally between passes.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

...or splurge on the Shopsmith 6" drum sander.

Yes, I have used this technique. It definitely works. You want to take thin passes -- barely making contact between the drum and the stock. Even still, it makes piles/clouds of sawdust that the dust collector struggles to keep up with.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!