510 Shutting Down

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cantputt
Gold Member

510 Shutting Down

Post by cantputt »

Every time I am working my 510 in table saw mode hard it shuts off. I wait a minute and can turn it back on. Then I need to cut real slow to keep her running. I keep reading that there is not built in breaker but what else could this be? I am cutting a lot of 1 1/2" thick mahogany planking for my boat. Thinking I may need to buy a new table saw.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: 510 Shutting Down

Post by algale »

Your 510 should be able to cut 1.5" thick mahogany. Here are some possible issues to look into:

1. Dull saw blade.
2. Improper alignment.
3. Improper speed setting (either on the dial face or improper low speed adjustment messing everything up).
4. Failure to use a splitter/riving knife and tension in the wood resulting in squeezing blade and slowing it or stopping it.
5. Improperly tensioned belts.

Al
Last edited by algale on Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Adding to Algale's post, above.

1A. A dirty saw blade with build up on the teeth will cause the machine to work harder.
1B. A thin-kerf blade might help.
6. Using a crosscut/high tooth count blade when ripping.
7. SS headstock needs cleaned out.

Is your 510 a grey machine or a brown/gold that has been upgraded to 510 table system? I'm not up on it, but the older 500s had a 3/4 HP motor, somewhere along the way, several decades ago, they switched to using 1-1/8 HP. I'm not sure how a 3/4 HP motor would work in your situation.

Give us more details about the type of cut you're doing, rip or cross, the blade you're using (type/tooth count, steel or carbide tip, full or narrow kerf), headstock type, are you using a splitter/riving knife, speed setting, whatever else you think relevant.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

cantputt wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:22 am I am cutting a lot of 1 1/2" thick mahogany planking for my boat.
As the folks have suggested, there are several things to check out. Hope the problem is easily resolvable. How about showing some pictures of your boat also?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
cantputt
Gold Member

Post by cantputt »

My blade could be too dull. What would be recommended and I will go get a new blade to try? I am ripping, unit is grey, no riving knife, speed dial set on saw.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

cantputt wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:34 pm My blade could be too dull. What would be recommended and I will go get a new blade to try? I am ripping, unit is grey, no riving knife, speed dial set on saw.
So there is a riving knife that is part of the 510 upper saw guard. When properly aligned it makes a world of difference when ripping real wood (as opposed to ply wood). There's a separate riving knife for non-through cuts you can buy and some of us use it for through cuts. Does the same things as the one in the upper saw guard although it lacks anti-kickback pawls.

Any modern 10" ripping or combo saw blade will be fine. Think kerf work very well. The standard Shopsmith saw arbor is 1.25" which is bigger than most saw blades you fill find. Shopsmith and a few other sells blades drilled to 1.25". Or you can buy the Shopsmith saw arbor in 5/8" which will fit most standard 10" blades.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

cantputt
Gold Member

Post by cantputt »

Not sure how to post a pic, been too long since I have been active on this site
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

For posting pics, see this post (always near top of Community Forum) viewtopic.php?t=19246

Also, a slower speed (such as L or M) gives more torque when doing heavy ripping.
cantputt
Gold Member

Post by cantputt »

My Girl, she is a bit needy
Chloe (2).jpg
Chloe (2).jpg (156.78 KiB) Viewed 732 times
cantputt
Gold Member

Post by cantputt »

Thanks guys, blade was the problem. Cutting like a dream again. And, as it turns out I had not one but two brand new blades in inventory so I didn't even have to go buy one. Glad I checked as I was headed to the store.