3" caster upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: 3" caster upgrade

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:36 am They did fix the problem with the metal drilling template---if you buy it. It did not come with the machine. I don't think it is still being offered though. What was the part number.
According to the on-line catalog, which has some conflicting statements, the steel drilling template is now included in the upgrade version:
"Includes: Set of 4 - 3" premium replacement casters for use in your existing retractable caster brackets • metal drilling template & drill bit • complete installation instructions." Source: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... asters.htm

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:36 am What was the part number.
I dug through my emails and found it. I ordered the 3" premium upgrade casters at the end of 2018 and below is a copy of my invoice. The template jig is called "Drill Bit Guide" and the part number was 556425. I strongly recommend anyone interested in the upgraded casters from Shopsmith to call them and ask specifically for this part number and see if it can be resurrected. IMHO it was well worth the $20 for it.
ShopsmithDrillbitGuide.jpg
ShopsmithDrillbitGuide.jpg (19.22 KiB) Viewed 636 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:52 am
dusty wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:36 am They did fix the problem with the metal drilling template---if you buy it. It did not come with the machine. I don't think it is still being offered though. What was the part number.
According to the on-line catalog, which has some conflicting statements, the steel drilling template is now included in the upgrade version:
"Includes: Set of 4 - 3" premium replacement casters for use in your existing retractable caster brackets • metal drilling template & drill bit • complete installation instructions." Source: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... asters.htm

- David
First let me make it clear...I love the 3" casters.

I don't find any reference to a "metal template" in the online catalog or the PDF it references. The PDF does give instructions for cutting out and applying the paper template.Catalogs change with time just like the equipment. No matter, I will just make another template using wood as I did before
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:53 am
dusty wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:36 am What was the part number.
I dug through my emails and found it. I ordered the 3" premium upgrade casters at the end of 2018 and below is a copy of my invoice. The template jig is called "Drill Bit Guide" and the part number was 556425. I strongly recommend anyone interested in the upgraded casters from Shopsmith to call them and ask specifically for this part number and see if it can be resurrected. IMHO it was well worth the $20 for it.
ShopsmithDrillbitGuide.jpg

I agree, a reliable drilling template would be a plus. However, the demand for one may not have been significant enough for SS to keep the item in inventory.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Well, my 520 had no casters at all, so I ordered the premium retractable caster set (part #556247), which only came with a set of templates printed on paper with the instructions...no mention of a template jig or other more reliable option. You cut out the paper templates, line them up with the existing holes, tape them in place, and mark the new locations with a drift and then drill the new holes. I followed the instructions very meticulously and as noted, it worked but the alignment wasn't perfect...good enough to get them attached but I was just surprised that this problem was still persisting. I'm not complaining about SS but rather just trying to point out to others that do this down the road to be prepared to have to finesse things together a bit as the template isn't flawless. When the dust settled, they attached fine and work perfectly, so that is what counts.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am curious in what direction did the holes location vary from "perfect"?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:58 am
DLB wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:52 am

- David
First let me make it clear...I love the 3" casters.

I don't find any reference to a "metal template" in the online catalog or the PDF it references. The PDF does give instructions for cutting out and applying the paper template.Catalogs change with time just like the equipment. No matter, I will just make another template using wood as I did before
I don't know where you are looking but the link David provided says exactly what he quoted in his post. Apparently it is not sold separately it is included with the castors.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I bought my more recent 3" Caster Upgrade P/N 556224 in February 2020. It came with the Metal Drill Guide (P/N 523008) and the 9/32" Drill Bit (P/N 523009) as indicated in the online catalog. The Drill Guide Instructions are P/N 845669. The instructions for the 3” Caster Upgrade for the Mark-V & Mark-7 (845639) can be found at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/man ... _04-12.pdf

The Metal Drill Guide, Drill Bit and instruction's part numbers listed above are from the instructions themself but a search for them produces 0 results. :confused:

dgale had ordered the Premium Retractable Casters P/N 556247 (complete assembly) not the upgrade of four 3" casters. I think the Metal Guide should be included, just my opinion, but the catalog says,
Shopsmith Premium Retractable casters include a paper template for drilling your bracket mounting holes and all the nuts and bolts you need to attach them to your Mark 7/Mark V's legs.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

So back when the paper template became a problem was that with the castor wheel kit and they fixed that with the metal template but never fixed the castor assembly kit. Or SS never photo copied the templet for the complete castor kit. It is all kind of strange. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:10 pm So back when the paper template became a problem was that with the castor wheel kit and they fixed that with the metal template but never fixed the castor assembly kit. Or SS never photo copied the templet for the complete castor kit. It is all kind of strange. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
I can't tell you when but I can assure you that the paper template was at some time corrected. I had one of the bad photocopies; unfortunately, I must not have kept it. I received a correct copy from SC and still have it. I took measurements from that copy to make my wooden template. Unfortunately, I did not keep that either. Now I have two sets of wheels to mount. and only a paper template.

Incidently, this photo copy SNAFU was a long time ago. Must we drag up this sort thing for extended discussion on the forum.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty