Nail puller pliers that is new to me.

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Nail puller pliers that is new to me.

Post by reible »

I recently had some brad nail that decided to stay in the base piece and pull through the trim piece. Nailers use a nail that is much softer then the ones you put in with a hammer and if you are not careful they brake off rather then pull out. Also some are headless or almost headless so tools that grab the head have nothing to grab. As I age doing a vertical pull has become more difficult so I use the twisting method which is another reason stuff doesn't go as well as expected.

So when I came across this tool and the price wasn't going to brake the bank I ordered it off Amazon. It was a little larger then I expected but added leverage might be useful at some point. It appears to be will made and works well for that I wanted it for. I have not tried to remove larger nails but then I have other tools for that. I do wish they had a 3/4 size model for sale but hey you can't have everything you want.
nailpuller.jpg
nailpuller.jpg (204.13 KiB) Viewed 9713 times
For reference the tool is on an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Re: Nail puller pliers that is new to me.

Post by SteveMaryland »

From the picture, not sure how this tool operates, or where it grabs, except as a plier.

One of my all-time most useful tools is a Channel-Lock #357. They call it an "end-cutting plier". This tool will get under or pullout most any size nail or brad as long as there is anything it can grab on to, including headless nails. I use it with a steel plate under it to avoid marring surfaces when pulling.

CHANNEL LOCK # 357.JPG
CHANNEL LOCK # 357.JPG (74.63 KiB) Viewed 9652 times
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I shot a couple of pictures in case people are having trouble figuring out how this tool works. It uses the same principal as a standard hammer with the curved claw.
use1.jpg
use1.jpg (141.27 KiB) Viewed 9620 times
use2.jpg
use2.jpg (140.12 KiB) Viewed 9620 times
use3.jpg
use3.jpg (137.67 KiB) Viewed 9620 times
I have a tool similar to the one shown above and here is a shot of the two of them to reflect the differences:
comp1.jpg
comp1.jpg (136.61 KiB) Viewed 9620 times
This is the one I have problems with with softer nails. The tighter you grip the more likely you are to just snip the nail off. Maybe I just don't have the control I need but I don't see this improving anytime ever. The jaws have a sharp edge as seen here:
comp2.jpg
comp2.jpg (151.38 KiB) Viewed 9620 times
Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have had good success with channel lock pliers. Very much similar to yer new one.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Using the right tool for the job makes a huge difference . having the right tool for the job ? ,,,, priceless .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:34 am I have had good success with channel lock pliers. Very much similar to yer new one.
Same here, but most of the time I start with my Lineman's pliers (Electrician tool). These work great on most any brad/finish nail. Larger nails are usually removed via hammer claw and difficult ones, like when the head is malformed or pops off are channel lock pliers. In the worst case, vise grips...

P.S. The head of Lineman's pliers are large enough to serve the same function of getting leverage by gripping the nail and pulling over to the side as the "nail puller" pliers shown above. Of course the cam type action of the "nail puller" pliers are more efficient, but just pointing out that if you already have Lineman's pliers in your tool chest they work very well for this IMHO.
Last edited by RFGuy on Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yep. No point in killing chickens with a steam shovel. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

JPG wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:57 pm Yep. No point in killing chickens with a steam shovel. :D
Or as I've heard it "swatting a fly with a Buick"
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm a bit surprised at the negative feed back on this tool. I guess you are all way more skilled then I thought.

Anyway I'm doubling down and ordering another one, just put the order in and it should be arriving on March 10.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:18 pm I'm a bit surprised at the negative feed back on this tool. I guess you are all way more skilled then I thought.

Anyway I'm doubling down and ordering another one, just put the order in and it should be arriving on March 10.

Ed
Ed,

Sorry, I didn't think I gave negative feedback. I was just sharing how I remove nails with other tools. As I pointed out, I am sure the large cam head on the nail puller pliers you purchased should be much more efficient at removing nails. With my method using Lineman's pliers it does a similar function but is perhaps harder to remove the nail and/or requires more force for removal in comparison. There are A LOT of specialty hand tools on the market, so I just wanted to share other methods for removal in case someone who reads the post already has one of the tools I mentioned in their tool box. I am sure the nail puller pliers you purchased work effortlessly since it is a specialty hand tool and that is their function, i.e. to make a particular task much easier.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor