Adding a new Incra fence

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Adding a new Incra fence

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks Vince. I think I follow you now. So am I to understand that you can also do drill press mode now without too much difficulty? So the main table on the left carriage, that is never connected to the rails at any time? If so, I guess this isn't really a problem because all it does is provide support to the workpiece from underneath. Do you use the miter slots for crosscuts? I was just wondering if you lose anything by not connecting the main table to the rails, e.g. alignment errors from less support and rigidity. I am guessing the answer is you don't have any problem with it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BlueViffer
Gold Member

Post by BlueViffer »

PuppyDoc wrote:Vince and Paul - You both really caught my attention with your Incra setups. I have a few questions as I start on my own quest to make such upgrades. First - was there anything special about what you ordered to get your setups to be compatible with SS. I have a Mark V 510 now with the PP upgrade and I am the original owner so I have all the pieces and parts purchased at that time - not that it matters. Second, I am looking for a system that will allow breaking down sheet goods, have you used yours for such a task and if so, is it much less fighting? Follow up to that brings me to your flip up outfeed tables - could you post pictures of what you have for add on tables and how you have them mounted? I'd love to even "borrow" a set of plans if you have any... Vince - I do like your solution to bevel cuts - I hadn't thought about that originally and would definitely be a show stopper for me. My shop is quite small (10 by 20) so anything I can do to optimize space and utility would be great.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob,

This is what I bought ... https://www.incrementaltools.com/TS_Bas ... rail72.htm
I had a Ultra 24 positioner. If I did not have the positioner I would have got the new 25 inch positioner. http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_L ... p/ls25.htm And the above rails and installed them to my saw.

Bob I break down sheet goods with my circular saw in the driveway with a home made saw guide. Much easier than trying to do it by myself on the SS.

Hopefully this helps you understand my set up better.

Vince
mmcdonough
Gold Member

Post by mmcdonough »

BlueViffer wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:06 pm It's been a while since I posted my set up and with all the questions about it I thought I would update you all. I did some table saw work where I needed to tilt the table to 45%. Well taking the rails off and putting them back was not really that hard but it got me to thinking. Since I have two carriages i thought about my previous set up with the router table to the left and having to move the positioner to use it with the router table. I then decided to make a new router table to the right side. So I took off the table on the right carriage and made a longer table that included the router table with it. Then I added the SS tables on the left side and free floated the main table with the motor and saw blade. Now if I need to cut at a angle I just remove the left side tables and rail connector tilt the table and go. My positioner is mounted to the right carriage and is just moved over. My rails mounted on the right side carriage extend to just past the saw blade so the positioner and fence work great up to the blade. Also works great for the router table. My rails on the right side are 41" long, the ones on the left side are 32" long connected using a connector I got off of amazon. ...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BL ... UTF8&psc=1 If you want a quality fence system and would like something other than SS 520 update then this is a good option. With this Incra Fence system ... https://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_ ... s32-ts.htm
How did you attach the legs for the carriage to the router table
ckbarron
Bronze Member

Post by ckbarron »

I'm late to the conversation but researching switching from my Jointech fence to the Incra. BlueViffer, this is pure genius. Don't know if you'll see this as it's such an old thread; but if you do, could you give me an idea of the weight of the fence, sliding arm, and base? Much appreciated.