Changing belts - TotalShop - Upper drive shaft stuck

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tuxedokman
Silver Member

Changing belts - TotalShop - Upper drive shaft stuck

Post by tuxedokman »

Hey, I'm totally new to this board. Found it on the internet while looking for answers.

Ive been working on this totalshop machine for a few weeks now and i'm at the point where i'm ready to throw it away.

The upper driveshaft is stuck, i've had a few people look at it and they have no idea how to get it out. I needed to replace the poly v belt. To do that i have to take out the upper drive shaft. There are no tear down videos for a total or documentation i can find. so ive been going off of shopsmith videos.

There seems to be a locking spring keeping the drive shaft in the headstock with the shopsmiths. On the total shop headstock there is no locking spring.
How do i get this driveshaft out to change the belt?

(background story)
My grandpa gave me his old Totalshop machine (shopsmith clone). He got his in the 80s at a super good price, so i assume that he got it after the whole lawsuit thing happened. Before the internet there would have no way for him to know about the history. After sitting in unused in the garage for a few decades i have inherited it.
Attachments
IMG_2967.JPG
IMG_2967.JPG (233.85 KiB) Viewed 884 times
IMG_2968.JPG
IMG_2968.JPG (267.49 KiB) Viewed 884 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Changing belts - TotalShop - Upper drive shaft stuck

Post by JPG »

What does the interior end of the drive sleeve look like>?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tuxedokman
Silver Member

Post by tuxedokman »

I removed two locking rings on the other side. They were not in easy customer friendly places which makes me doubt i was suppose to do that.
Attachments
IMG_2972.JPG
IMG_2972.JPG (271.49 KiB) Viewed 875 times
IMG_2970.JPG
IMG_2970.JPG (340.33 KiB) Viewed 875 times
IMG_2971.JPG
IMG_2971.JPG (295.61 KiB) Viewed 875 times
IMG_2973.JPG
IMG_2973.JPG (277.41 KiB) Viewed 872 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

How is the pulley secured to the shaft? It be be necessary to remove the shaft, then the pulley and bearings.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tuxedokman
Silver Member

Post by tuxedokman »

JPG wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:41 pm How is the pulley secured to the shaft? It be be necessary to remove the shaft, then the pulley and bearings.
We dont know, i was able to find two locking rings on the shaft and remove them. But nothing is moving. Ive tried hammering them all out but still nothing is moving.

I'm pretty sure it has to come out in one unit like the shopsmith. Looking at the schematic, the shaft changes diameter in a few places that would prevent it from being seperated from the bearings unless they are all out of the head stock together.

The unit is from the 80s, i dont know how many different models of total shops where made. Based on the schematics i took a picture of i have removed everything that i can.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Does it look like part numbers 18, 20 and 76 are set screws on the top side of the quill through the casing? If so these would prevent the quill from moving. I know the SS has one in about the same area as the part number 76 is located to keep the quill from extending too far. The same period SS head stocks had that set screw covered so they could not be removed or adjusted by accident.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The two part # 23 COMPLETELY removed? Looks like no in the pix.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

tuxedokman,

Was there something in the hole indicated by the arrow in the copy of your picture below? It looks like there is another hole at the top of the Headstock casting too.

_
1 arrow.jpg
1 arrow.jpg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 818 times
I cannot tell from your pictures but is the ring indicated by the arrow in your second picture below part of the bearing or is it a retaining ring? If it is part of the bearing's outer sleeve, which I suspect it is, then something else holds the Drive Sleeve Assembly in place. The Headstock casting itself keeps the Drive Sleeve Assembly from going further into the Headstock as shown in the pictures of your second post.

_
2 arrow.jpg
2 arrow.jpg (129.02 KiB) Viewed 818 times
You said in your second post,
I removed two locking rings on the other side. They were not in easy customer friendly places which makes me doubt i was suppose to do that.
If those locking rings are what hold it in place, then I cannot explain what is keeping it there other than it may simply be stuck.

Sorry if this doesn't help but I have never owned one of the Shopsmith clones. The picture of the exploded parts drawing you posted is not very clear for the Drive Sleeve Assembly and what holds it in place. The parts list may help in identifying the parts we are looking at. Comparing the Total Shop drawing to a Mark 5 exploded parts drawing from the mid-seventies these Drive Sleeve Assemblies and related parts look different.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
tuxedokman
Silver Member

Post by tuxedokman »

I will do my best to answer all the questions below.
thunderbirdbat wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:36 am Does it look like part numbers 18, 20 and 76 are set screws on the top side of the quill through the casing? If so these would prevent the quill from moving. I know the SS has one in about the same area as the part number 76 is located to keep the quill from extending too far. The same period SS head stocks had that set screw covered so they could not be removed or adjusted by accident.
76 was removed very easliy early on and was nessesary for keeping 14 and 15 in the machine.

18 was taken off, that was securing 9 (a collar) that was flush with the headstock. it might be the origonal peice holding
the drive shaft bearings and drive shaft assembly in place, i fear everyhing is just stuck with age now.

(i have included a picture of 9 below)

i have not seen 20, it may be covered in grime and gunk. though it doesnt look like it would be holding the drive shaft assembly
in place. i look like it would be holding just the belt pully in place.

JPG wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:27 am The two part # 23 COMPLETELY removed? Looks like no in the pix.
in the picture no, but it is snapped up now and no longer locking anything in
chapmanruss wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:29 pm tuxedokman,

Was there something in the hole indicated by the arrow in the copy of your picture below? It looks like there is another hole at the top of the Headstock casting too.

I cannot tell from your pictures but is the ring indicated by the arrow in your second picture below part of the bearing or is it a retaining ring? If it is part of the bearing's outer sleeve, which I suspect it is, then something else holds the Drive Sleeve Assembly in place. The Headstock casting itself keeps the Drive Sleeve Assembly from going further into the Headstock as shown in the pictures of your second post.

You said in your second post,
If those locking rings are what hold it in place, then I cannot explain what is keeping it there other than it may simply be stuck.

Sorry if this doesn't help but I have never owned one of the Shopsmith clones. The picture of the exploded parts drawing you posted is not very clear for the Drive Sleeve Assembly and what holds it in place. The parts list may help in identifying the parts we are looking at. Comparing the Total Shop drawing to a Mark 5 exploded parts drawing from the mid-seventies these Drive Sleeve Assemblies and related parts look different.
there was a piece that was in place and flush with the face of the machine (see picture below). It might be the original piece holding
the drive shaft bearings and drive shaft assembly in place, i fear everything is just stuck with age now.

your second arrow is indeed pointing to the bearings outer sleeve

After reading everything it seems to me like the assembly is stuck
in place due to age. A mechanic friend jokingly suggested i use a hydraulic press to push out the drive shaft assembly. He had no idea what was holding the assembly in place.

I have included some more pictures below of how the machine stands as of now.
Attachments
part #9
part #9
IMG_2885.JPG (234.7 KiB) Viewed 793 times
Part #9
Part #9
IMG_2942.JPG (222.48 KiB) Viewed 793 times
DRIVE SHAFT IN PLACE
DRIVE SHAFT IN PLACE
IMG_3011.JPG (334.4 KiB) Viewed 793 times
other side of manual
other side of manual
IMG_3012.JPG (248.74 KiB) Viewed 793 times
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

On the 2nd photo of the top of the casting, there are a couple of flat spots along the seam just to the right of the belt cutout. These flat spots remind me of the set screw on top of the SS when it was filled with putty and painted over. Is it possible that a set screw is hiding in one of them?
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router