JOHNSON PASTE WAX

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

JOHNSON PASTE WAX

Post by Thomschuck »

I just recently discovered that my beloved and trusted Johnson Paste Wax has been discontinued. I know there are many choices out there but I thought i would toss it down anyways and see what some have to say. I can’t ever remember NOT having a couple of cans good to go. Any solid recommendations? I used it on my projects and I used it on almost every tool & machine I have owned. Let’s hear it!
Thank You,
Thom Schuck
Portland, Oregon
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: JOHNSON PASTE WAX

Post by RFGuy »

Thom,

Yeah, I agree with you. I found an online retailer several months back and purchased an additional can to have as a spare. It was an inflated price, but I didn't mind paying it because I just like JPW. There are other alternatives and a good thread discussed this recently so I am going to refer you to the link below:

viewtopic.php?t=31022&hilit=jpw
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Search is your friend.
viewtopic.php?t=31022
JEFFinCLE
Silver Member

Post by JEFFinCLE »

Renaissance Wax. For both.
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

If you're using it on your machines, I've had a can of Bowling Alley Wax (Butcher's Wax) for decades and it works just fine. I believe it's pretty similar to JPW. For wood finishing, FWW preferred Renaissance wax, a microcrystaline wax that's quite expensive. In tests, it buffed out well and didn't leave a translucent residue like most of the others they tested.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Renaissance Wax is nice, but boy is it expensive and for such a small container of it too.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JEFFinCLE
Silver Member

Post by JEFFinCLE »

RE: Renaissance Wax

6 or 7 years from now when you use it all the time and you still have half a jar, you'll forget how much it cost.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JEFFinCLE wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:46 am RE: Renaissance Wax

6 or 7 years from now when you use it all the time and you still have half a jar, you'll forget how much it cost.
Jeff,

I guess it depends on how many tools you have!!! :D I tried getting JPW or any paste wax at the local Lowes at my MIL's before. My FIL had passed away and all of his tools in his large woodshop needed major TLC. I live across the country so I was trying to help her in preserving the tools and minimize rust until eventually she could sell them or etc. or until I could return on a follow-up trip to maintain them again. I had to get an online (Amazon) option quickly during my trip since there wasn't a local source for ANY paste wax that I could find around town. Bottomline is one cleanup of a standard workshop of tools took about a quarter of a container of Renaissance Wax and that was me going sparingly. Depending on how many cast iron table woodworking tools and hand tools that you have, I would think regular maintenance might use up a container of Renaissance Wax in only 1-2 years. Whereas JPW lasts me a LONG time in comparison. Just my experience.
📶RF Guy

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Regarding microcrystalline wax, I haven't bought Renaissance wax so far, but I got a low-odor microcrystalline product from the pipe enthusiasts people, call Paragon wax. I'm impressed.

The FWW article a few years back was indeed helpful. I like low-VOC options, and from that article I found that Angelus (shoe) wax was pretty mild-smelling.

Another fun thing for wood finishing is to not rely on solvents at all, but rather to hot-melt the wax onto the wood, and then scrape back the excess prior to buffing. There are some articles from Don Williams on this. I guess for smaller objects this can be done effectively by a buffing wheel system as well.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

MINWAX Paste Finishing Wax Natural Color UPC 27426 78500
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange