Three Deminsional Eight Pointed Srar

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

Three Deminsional Eight Pointed Srar

Post by STB »

Creating the jig and setup to cut the Star made my brain hurt.

20230430_140413.jpg
20230430_140413.jpg (138.23 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Three Deminsional Eight Pointed Srar

Post by algale »

Pretty neat result!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

My brain hurts, too!
Share more, if you can!
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Worth the headache, for sure!
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am trying to deterine where the eighth point comes from with three triangles.

I'll stat tuned.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

VERY nice!!!

There are 8 points that you can see in the picture. Each star is resting on 4 points and on top there are 4 points reaching toward the sky. So, 8 points in total. The other way to think about it conceptually is it is basically 2 pyramids that are merged into each other. One pyramid has 4 points on its own and 2 pyramids will have 8 points total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Two intersecting tetrahedrons. Although made of 3 pointed triangles the tetrahedron has four faces and vertices.

Very impressive work from this forum member. Really want to find out more about the jig.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

edma194 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:50 pm Two intersecting tetrahedrons. Although made of 3 pointed triangles the tetrahedron has four faces and vertices.

Very impressive work from this forum member. Really want to find out more about the jig.
Thank You Much

I saw only triangles - no pyramids (tetrahedrons)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

dusty wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:37 am I am trying to deterine where the eighth point comes from with three triangles.

I'll stat tuned.
I don't know how to take a picture showing all eight points with the same shot. So the star on the right show the front and top the picture on the left shows the bottom and the back.

PS couldn't resist :D :D :D
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

edma194 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:50 pm Two intersecting tetrahedrons. Although made of 3 pointed triangles the tetrahedron has four faces and vertices.

tetrahedron? Now that is a mouth full.

Interesting one person saw triangles. One person saw pyramids. I saw a six-sided cube with eight points and twenty-four faces.

I am not showing the jig attempts they were clumsy complicated to make dangerous and didn't work very well. (I like all my fingers just where they are) Day one I used the table saw after several attempts I failed. Next was the band saw another fail. Next was the router and a 45 deg bit but very hard to set up fail number 3. Then while contemplating life in the throne room the solution came to me a clamp a hand saw and about ten minutes. The picture shows the results.
20230502_180708.jpg
20230502_180708.jpg (224.05 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
Glenn