This dont feel right..

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

This dont feel right..

Post by bainin »

Trying to think of a way to clean out those corners in a circular way.

I would use the 2x4 backstop to limit how far I could push the "cross" into the bit, and then the right 2x4 as a guide to run along.

It just feels like -pardon the pun - all hell's gonna break loose though.

Having a day where i cant think of an easier solution.

Thoughts are appreciated.
router-setup.jpg
router-setup.jpg (48.37 KiB) Viewed 4830 times

b
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: This dont feel right..

Post by edma194 »

You could go back in time and drill the corners before you cut out the cross. You could drill them now with a larger bit. Your approach with the router sounds fine though as long as your fences are set right.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

I think using a SS push block to put some down pressure on the piece as you feed it might make the operation feel more secure, and the block should keep the fingers far enough away just in case something goes awry. Or you could try wrapping sandpaper around a dowel of the right radius and do it the slow way.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I found a way I was more comfortable with using the overhead router mode on the SS.
cross1.jpg
cross1.jpg (76.99 KiB) Viewed 4799 times
cross2.jpg
cross2.jpg (66.73 KiB) Viewed 4799 times
scollins
Gold Member

Post by scollins »

Flush trim bit with a bearing and template. Easy peasy and will feel right!
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

bainin wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:51 pm I found a way I was more comfortable with using the overhead router mode on the SS.

cross1.jpg
cross2.jpg
Yep, I was going to recommend plunging. It has the added benefit of minimizing tearout, as the wood being cut is always supported by the wood remaining immediately beneath it. Although I was assuming that you’d have to do it with your router lift.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Router bits(SSvariety) make very clean plunge cut holes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange