Latest My Growth Rings installment

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Latest My Growth Rings installment

Post by RFGuy »

Ok...I tried to watch the John Malecki video that started off this thread and I couldn't make it past about 2 minutes of it. One I was avoiding watching it because I knew the video was likely OVERLY dramatic, in an attempt to draw in subscribers and non-subscribers to raise YT video view counts for profit. Second, I didn't want to watch that long of a video unless I was going to learn something new. Third, I kinda thought I already knew what to expect from that channel. Having only watched 2 minutes of it, I was not disappointed. In just the first 2 minutes, he is over the top dramatic and theatrical...more so than I witnessed on past videos from him. My understanding is that he played 1 game in the NFL and I don't know what happened, but his life now is making YT videos, BUT he is doing this to promote his "professional" woodworking/metalworking/DA epoxy business, which is linked below if anyone wants to see what they produce. He also has a typical YT'er merchandise store that sells t-shirts and a couple of woodworking plans. Being an ex-NFL type with the kind of personality one typically sees on play-by-play analysis from sports broadcasters, you know the kind that is like nails on a chalkboard to listen to, this is what his content is like...however it is dialed up to a level 11 now compared to the milder 6-7, I observed in his past videos. Before I would say his video content was mildly amusing (having only watched a couple of his videos), but this week it was cringey (not even referring to the Shopsmith content) and unbearable to watch. Everyone has to make a living and I generally say to each their own. Also, I try to be as respectful to all woodworkers because I generally consider all of it of value, even though some woodworking areas I have no personal interest in myself, nor time/resources in this lifetime to get around to trying. Having said this, I do object to those who intentionally misguide/miseducate others...even though I didn't watch the entire video, I get the sense that this was the case with his video. It was meant entirely for entertainment and to be provocative to gain attention (positive and negative) to drive view counts and interest in his company. I strongly encourage others NOT to watch that video, because you are ONLY supporting him financially by watching/re-watching it. Just my opinion though and everyone is free to do as they please, but know he is getting paid every time you watch his video.

https://metalandwood.us/
Last edited by RFGuy on Sun May 21, 2023 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

RFGuy wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:40 am ...but know he is getting paid every time you watch his video.
Good point -- thanks for the reminder!

I think you and others are right that it is nothing more than clickbait, and he probably feels that SS is a niche(-enough) product that he can "punch down" with minimal repercussion. Unfortunately he might have a point there...
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

HopefulSSer wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:19 am Good point -- thanks for the reminder!

I think you and others are right that it is nothing more than clickbait, and he probably feels that SS is a niche(-enough) product that he can "punch down" with minimal repercussion. Unfortunately he might have a point there...
Yeah, I agree with you. Unfortunately, most of social media tends to hyperbole these days and this includes social media influencers (like your favorite YT, IG, etc. woodworker) that are desperate to garner attention to bump up their view counts and/or promote a particular sponsored product. Also tends to homogenize A LOT of what is perceived as woodworking these days by those who consume online content. Don't believe me, check out ten different YT woodworkers and tell me how many that have tool walls as backdrops also have uber expensive Bessey parallel clamps on them? IF the number isn't 10/10, I'll bet it is 9/10. I tried them (Bessey) once in a store and besides being overly heavy and unwieldy, I found their operation to be rather clunky, so I decided NOT to purchase them. Going on a tangent here, but on a tangent with a point. :D I do believe that Shopsmith is more of a niche product in the woodworking space today unfortunately and as a result of the homogenization of woodworking content thanks to the likes of YT, IG, etc. it means that Shopsmith as a tool is more foreign, and unknown, to the larger woodworking community as evidenced by his video. Also, YT content (at least in the woodworking space) is trending more and more off of education intent recently IMHO, as content creators attempt to chase the ever-changing algorithm that Google/YT uses to steer content to eyeballs. Unfortunately this means that even reputable, long standing quality woodworking content creators have had to grow/adapt in my opinion, i.e. becoming more clickbait oriented or entertainment based. Less scrupulous content creators, by extension, are changing even more so to garner those eye balls to up view counts, which led to videos like this one that is in question. JMO, but I am 98% sure I am right on all of this. ;)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

For sure, it is time for YouTube to face some serious competition. I used to like it a lot (unlike FB), but it is getting pretty cringy lately. Imagine if a competitor arose that truly valued their free-to-them content creators.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:32 pm For sure, it is time for YouTube to face some serious competition. I used to like it a lot (unlike FB), but it is getting pretty cringy lately. Imagine if a competitor arose that truly valued their free-to-them content creators.
Does FB have a responsibility to me or to you to validate what some one (SS or Malecky for example) posts. I don't believe so.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:32 pm For sure, it is time for YouTube to face some serious competition. I used to like it a lot (unlike FB), but it is getting pretty cringy lately. Imagine if a competitor arose that truly valued their free-to-them content creators.
Dennis,

Well, they have competition, but I doubt it will ever be "serious". I am aware of at least Vimeo, Vevo & Twitch but there are others. Since Google bought out YT, it is going to be difficult for anyone to truly compete with them IMHO. Also problematic is the rise of TikTok and many social media influencers (including many woodworking content creators) are moving to TikTok now (from YT & IG)...dangerous considering how deeply the CCP has their hooks into TikTok. I would say TikTok is the most serious challenger to YT today, but I refuse to use it myself for obvious reasons.

You do raise an interesting point though. I do wish there was a truly independent platform that catered to content creators. Whether or not the content creator was seeking compensation, I do believe this would create a more welcoming environment for all. I mean I know some content creators that only want enough to sustain their channel at whatever sub count that is, i.e. they are not looking to be a "hit" on the platform and earn millions per year. Some are purely motivated to educate others or share their art and platforms like YT used to be a welcome environment for that. Today with the level of algorithmic control at play, I believe it is much harder for any content creators to thrive on platforms like YT, except the controversial ones.

The challenge is most of our current online tech platforms are paid for by ad revenue, so any YT competitor is going to follow the same formulaic playbook of chasing ad revenue dollars and as a result algorithmic control, which leads to the same situation we are already in. No one seems to want to pay for these services out of their own pockets, but are content in giving themselves (their data) away over and over again to receive this free tech, content, etc.
📶RF Guy

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

A couple more video responses to the clown:

Cannon Woodworking - I Own and Operate Woodworking's Most Dangerous Tool(My Response to John Malecki's Recent Video)

The Beggars Workshop - My Response to John Malecki Shopsmith Video

The guy from the Beggars Workshop is worried about being too aggressive in his video but he has no reason to be apologetic, if I made a video responding to Malecki I'd likely get permanently booted from YouTube. Malecki didn't just voice an opinion that I disagree with, he did a hit job on the Shopsmith, deliberately misusing the machine to make money for himself. I'm sure it's not worth the effort or the risk of stirring the pot to Shopsmith but based on the title and preview screen I think they could sue him for defamation. My point there is that false statements were made with a disregard for the truth.

There isn't a lot in the social media that I return to consistently, this forum where there are people with great experience, skill, and technical knowledge is a cut above the ordinary. I subscribe and am a board member for My Growth Rings because I find Scott Markwood entertaining in addition to his extensive knowledge and experience. It's a shame that YouTube is a barely regulated free-for-all of ideas when videos like this appear, but in the same sense is still the need for the free expression of ideas including ones that I disagree with. But when it comes to unequivocal false claims as those made in this case all of our rights to free expression are diminished in quality as a result.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I thought the same thing about a defamation law suit by SS. Unfortunately, I don't think SS has deep enough pockets.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

It looks like John finally accepted Scott's invitation and Scott went out to visit him to educate him on proper Mark V operation. Haven't watched that video (2nd below) but first one below is the video from Scott announcing that John gave that Mark V away to Scott to give to one of his channel members, so if anyone wants a free Mark V check it out:

📶RF Guy

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ok, I tried to watch the video of Scott with John and I just couldn't get past the first 5 minutes of it. The background music was very distracting and took away from the discussion, which I have to assume John did on purpose because he didn't want to make this video. He seemed very domineering and over talked Scott throughout the portion that I watched. One statement that I found annoying from John, and Scott agreed with him, was that the Mark V is NOT for a beginner woodworker. I vehemently disagree with this notion.
📶RF Guy