Depth Indicator

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Seezle
Gold Member

Depth Indicator

Post by Seezle »

Just checking here, but I assume the depth indicator on my 10er has no permanent position - it is relative to the range needed.

So you can use it to find the distance of say, an intended drilling: Setting it to 0 from a beginning drill height and then cranking the quill handle to the intended lowest point, revealing that number.

Conversely, it could be used to define the distance necessary from a specific number; setting the dial to 0 and turning the quill handle to that number depth on the dial and then align the quill depth set stop so it never goes past that point.

Please let me know if this is correct or not, or if there are some cool tricks I am missing.

Quill spring housing.jpg
Quill spring housing.jpg (38.24 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
Spring and Stuff.jpg
Spring and Stuff.jpg (54.75 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
=================
Scott E.
bainin
Platinum Member

Re: Depth Indicator

Post by bainin »

I think thats right, its atleast how I use mine. I don't 100% trust that in "free to rotate" mode, it accurately represents plunge depth...so i always
determine the stop on the quill, then lock it down- whatever the number reads.

b
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Scott,

I noticed in your second picture you have the Collar turned around. It should go on first against the Spring Housing to hold it against the Headstock Casting. The Depth Indicator then goes on held in place by the Retaining Ring. You can see the correct order in the picture below. Having the Collar reversed has the Depth Indicator holding the Spring Housing against the Headstock Casting creating a friction point with the Depth Indicator which should rotate against the Spring Housing which should not rotate.

_
Dial Indicator.jpg
Dial Indicator.jpg (145.06 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
As its name says it is a Depth Indicator. Although it is fairly accurate, I would recommend confirming with reliable measuring for any needed accuracy. For drilling multiple holes to a more precise depth, I would use the Gauge Rod set to the desired depth. The Depth Indicators accuracy depends on it remaining in position as the Quill is extended. The Retaining Ring holds it with enough friction to keep it in place as the Pinion is rotated. If it doesn't turn with the Pinion or "slips" as the Pinion is rotated to extend the Quill than it would be useless. On those Model 10's I have restored that have the Depth Indicator I have not seen any slip on the Pinion Collar during use.

For anyone looking at Scott's pictures above and wondering why yours doesn't have this the Depth Indicator was not on the early Model 10E tools and was a change that included a change of the Spring Housing.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Seezle
Gold Member

Post by Seezle »

I submit my rework for final grading. Thanks again!

Clampdown Races.jpg
Clampdown Races.jpg (82.84 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
=================
Scott E.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

A+

The parts are cleaning up beautifully and are looking like new.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Do I see a wave washer there? Makes sense!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

It appears you are correct. Scott can confirm. This must have been an addition by someone as it is not original. Out of the 18 Model 10's I have owned that have the Depth Indicator ranging from serial number 25951 to serial number 101291 none have had a wave washer there. None of the Manuals show one either. The oldest 9 Model 10E's I have owned with serial numbers from 1033 to 19541 didn't have the Depth Indicator.
Russ

Mark V 520
Seezle
Gold Member

Post by Seezle »

Thanks to all for your help and guidance.

One note: I noticed my headstock has a nib to hold the quill spring housing in place, whereas Russ' posted picture had none. My serial # is 69781. Were there different 10er headstocks that featured this appendage? Was it not necessary?

Nib.jpg
Nib.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
=================
Scott E.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Scott,

Good question about the Headstock. I have found 7 versions of the Headstocks for the Model 10's starting with the first being the original Model 10E. The picture I posted showing the Depth Indicator is on a Model 10E (S/N 13153) and the third version of the Headstock. Actually, this Model 10E originally did not have the Depth Indicator but it received a couple upgrades when I restored it. It also now has the Metal Extension Table with the Tailstock for it instead of its original wood Extension Table and second version Tailstock.

The seven Versions of the Headstock and their differences are listed below. The 7 versions do not include some anomalies I have seen in Headstocks.

1 - A Pin used for the Spring Housing (see Picture below), Double Wedge Locks, the Switch Hole is lower than the other Headstock Versions.

_
102-48 Pin - spring housing stop.jpg
102-48 Pin - spring housing stop.jpg (100.67 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
All later Headstock versions 2 - 7 have cast on Spring Housing Stops but they vary. All later Headstock have the Switch Hole higher than the 1st version.

2 - Narrow Cast Spring Housing Stop on the top only, Double Wedge Locks.

3 - Narrow Cast Spring Housing Stop on the bottom only, Double Wedge Locks.

4 - Narrow Cast Spring Housing Stops on the top and bottom, Double Wedge Locks with a keyed Quill Lock.

5 - Wide Cast Spring Housing Stops on the top and bottom, Double Wedge Locks with a keyed Quill Lock.

6 - Wide Cast Spring Housing Stops on the top and bottom, Single Wedge Locks. The change to Single Wedge Locks occurred in April 1951.

7 - Wide Cast Spring Housing Stops on the top and bottom, Single Wedge Locks, an access hole behind the Logo/Serial Number Plate was added.

There are some anomalies in Headstocks that have occurred that I cannot explain the reason for. The Picture below is from Serial Number R51466.

_
R51466 Headstock.jpg
R51466 Headstock.jpg (243.16 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
This is a 5th version Headstock. That serial number should be a 6th version Headstock and it has the access hole behind the Logo/Serial Number Plate like a 7th version Headstock.

More about the Model 10's can be found in the Thread titled Shopsmith Model 10's What When and Where in the community section and at the link below.

https://forum.shopsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=23647
Russ

Mark V 520