Sanding Blocks

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Sanding Blocks

Post by john »

Most of us don't like the sanding phase of woodworking and are often looking for better ways of tackling that job. I have found that the Sand Devil sanding blocks from Milescraft are good for hand sanding. I originally purchased their larger model and found it to be better than the blocks I had been using so I then purchased their medium sized one and they have become my go-to tools in most cases.

I found the shape of them to be better suited for holding them and the longer faces are great for sanding the edges of longer boards.

The downside of these blocks is that they use sanding belts rather than sheet sandpaper, making them more expensive to use and restricting the number of grades available. But, I find the belts last longer and the design allows you to simply rotate the belt to get a clean sanding surface.

If you are looking to upgrade your collection of sanding blocks, you may want to look at these.

Just to let you know, I have no connection to Milescraft or their distributers. This is strickly my opinion.

Take care and have fun!

John
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Sanding Blocks

Post by edma194 »

These look interesting. Several models on the Milescraft website: https://www.milescraft.com/product-cate ... t/sanding/

The SandDevil 2.5 used a 2-1/2" x 14" belt. Those are available in a large variety of grits at this place: https://www.redlabelabrasives.com/colle ... 4?sort_by=
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I make my wife do the sanding :)

b
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

herringbur is a SPAMer. There is a hidden link in his/its post. Reported

Deleted!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

jsburger wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:22 pm herringbur is a SPAMer. There is a hidden link in his/its post. Reported
thumbs-up emoji
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

HopefulSSer wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:32 pm
jsburger wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:22 pm herringbur is a SPAMer. There is a hidden link in his/its post. Reported
thumbs-up emoji
Just hover over the blue line at the bottom of the post and you can see the link.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

jsburger wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:09 pm
HopefulSSer wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:32 pm
thumbs-up emoji
Just hover over the blue line at the bottom of the post and you can see the link.
Yes I saw it. I was thumbs-upping your reporting of it! ;-)
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

"Just hover over the blue line at the bottom of the post and you can see the link."
I guess the blue line I can't see disappeared when it was deleted? Is that the clue we should look for?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

db5 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:40 pm "Just hover over the blue line at the bottom of the post and you can see the link."
I guess the blue line I can't see disappeared when it was deleted? Is that the clue we should look for?
That was the case this time but that is the first time I have seen it here. The way to check for hidden links is to click the quote ( " ) icon on the post like you want to reply to the post. That brings up the post in plain text in the editor. Then the link will be there in the text.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT