For the nostalgia of it

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mynooncar
Bronze Member

For the nostalgia of it

Post by mynooncar »

Is there a time limit?

I had a couple of paragraphs in after logging in and it all disappeared when I hit the submit. Here is what I'm working on....the boxes and papers are in good shape. Everything has been shmorshed in the box for many years. It all looks to be here. More pictures (if this post) when I haul this stuff to the barn with the rest.
Attachments
P1010003.JPG
P1010003.JPG (403.38 KiB) Viewed 483 times
P1010004.JPG
P1010004.JPG (392.57 KiB) Viewed 483 times
P1010005.JPG
P1010005.JPG (358.01 KiB) Viewed 483 times
mynooncar
Bronze Member

Re: For the nostalgia of it

Post by mynooncar »

Hi,

This is my second post on this site, a final test run with a picture since I found more papers. I'll seal these in a large ziplock. I also happen to have that DeWalt radial arm too. It was a package deal. A restoration short of cosmetics might be in order if there are no crazy major issues with the system. It won't be my first time around vintage classic restorations, but most of those are astronomy gear. I have done some recent wood working machines. My wood shop days go back about 35 years when I started and eventually owned an architectural wood staircase company. This is retirement.
The rest of the Shop Smith is still in the barn so pictures after the barn trip.

Let me know if this needs to be redirected to another location.
Attachments
might find more papers
might find more papers
spsm.JPG (407.19 KiB) Viewed 476 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Your creating this thread is fine.

Question is, where is it going?

There are many here that are interested.

If you require help/explanations . . . Just ask.

Welcome to the forum.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mynooncar
Bronze Member

Post by mynooncar »

Thank you for the welcome.
This is going from these pictures to a functional unit if there are no detrimental issues. Practicality will be based on good horse sense once I get it opened up. The main motor housing is frozen. It humms when powered but doesn't run. A basic inspection should cover that. I believe it can be functionally restored. Should it be impractical, I'll have one hey day of a local parts supply for crazy cheap or free.

We do a lot of restoration strings in the vintage telescope world. I don't know if the full monty is done here or if this string is more based on individual issues. This unit could replace a lot of stuff in the shop since I'm only retired hobby now. I also enjoy the restoration work and a LOT of my material world is classic vintage - like me.

Are there a lot of owners that keep old original boxes and other side items not directly related to shop work? Accessory collections? Multiple complete unit collections? I'm not yet sure how chronic some here might be. Telescope guys can go off the scale. Some of my own scope restorations are a bit on the anal side.
Attachments
P1010001.JPG
P1010001.JPG (354.29 KiB) Viewed 443 times
P1010002.JPG
P1010002.JPG (328.4 KiB) Viewed 443 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The answers to essentially all those ? is yep. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You have the beginnings for a great restoration project. Since the motor only hums when powered on I would recommend narrowing down why. To start remove the belt from the motor and try running it again. This will tell you if it is a motor issue or something in the drive system. If it still just hums it is a motor issue and if not probably bearings need to be replaced in either the Idler Shaft Assembly, Drive Sleeve Assembly or the Quill Assembly or even all of them.

Since you enjoy restoring old things, I believe you will enjoy working on your Shopsmith. We can help you through that when questions arise.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The motor may 'hum' because the start switch contacts are not closing due to sawdust between the contacts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝