Recently Got My First Shopsmith 10E

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

59imperial
Bronze Member

Recently Got My First Shopsmith 10E

Post by 59imperial »

Hi All. I'm new to this group and to the world of Shopsmiths. I purchased my first Shopsmith a couple of weeks ago for $200. A model 10E serial number 22612, which likely dates it to about late 1948 or early '49. The seller had purchased it a few years ago from the original owner. It has quite a few accessories such as the jigsaw and speed changer. The original miter gauge and extension table are missing; most likely upgraded to the ER version by the original owner in the early 50's. It does however still have its original fence and tailstock. It seems to have been well cared for. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the Shopsmith, but hopefully I'll be able to use it soon.
Attachments
SS1.jpg
SS1.jpg (145.97 KiB) Viewed 607 times
DSC_1202_copy_903x678.jpg
DSC_1202_copy_903x678.jpg (140.9 KiB) Viewed 607 times
DSC_1199_copy_927x696.jpg
DSC_1199_copy_927x696.jpg (151.6 KiB) Viewed 607 times
DSC_1210_copy_923x693.jpg
DSC_1210_copy_923x693.jpg (132.19 KiB) Viewed 607 times
DSC_1208_copy_736x981.jpg
DSC_1208_copy_736x981.jpg (113.62 KiB) Viewed 607 times
DSC_1209_copy_888x666.jpg
DSC_1209_copy_888x666.jpg (141.83 KiB) Viewed 607 times
DSC_1206_copy_940x705.jpg
DSC_1206_copy_940x705.jpg (127.32 KiB) Viewed 607 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Recently Got My First Shopsmith 10E

Post by JPG »

Nice acquisition!

A suggestion: Move the speed changer crank to the outer side of the bracket. This gives more hand clearance...

Welcome to the zoo!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Nice looking machine, well kept over the years. Full complement of accessories and built in storage, you got a deal. Welcome to your new obsession ;)
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

59imperial,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. As JPG and Ed have already said you have a great looking Model 10E there. As you learn to care for it and how to use it, I believe you will enjoy it. Looking at the pictures it appears the original owner did upgrade it to the Metal Extension Table and I see you have both fences. Do use the one with the rear fence lock. Setup and use of the Metal Extension Table is easier than the Wood Extension Table.

Before running your Model 10E remove the Jointer Cutterhead from the Spindle. Those knives on the cutterhead can do a lot of damage so the Jointer Cutterhead should only be on the Headstock when properly setup using the Jointer/Shaper Fence you have. With that off you can check if your Model 10E is functioning correctly. I would recommend loosening the Belts to check the motor and the Drive Sleeve and Quill Assemblies separately. Turn the Upper Drive Pulley by hand to see that the Bearings in the Drive Sleeve Assembly and Quill Assembly turn freely and smoothly. Run the motor without any belts on it to see if it is running well.

Hopefully you received a Owner's Guide with your Model 10E along with manuals for the other accessories like the Jig Saw. If you need manuals we can direct you to PDF's of the manuals that are available for free.

Feel free to ask any questions about your Shopsmith.

As JPG and Ed have already said Welcome to the wonderful world of Shopsmith's. Do know that Owning Shopsmith Tools can be habit forming as evidenced by my picture below.

_
4708-8865-55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg
4708-8865-55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 567 times
These are 5 I restored and had together at one time. I still own the back one shown in this picture which was my first restoration. The second one, a Model 10E, is very similar to what your Model 10E would have looked like originally.

When you get to the Jig Saw we can discuss things to look out for and check to get it ready for use.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
59imperial
Bronze Member

Post by 59imperial »

JPG wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:04 am Nice acquisition!

A suggestion: Move the speed changer crank to the outer side of the bracket. This gives more hand clearance...

Welcome to the zoo!
Thank you for the advice!
59imperial
Bronze Member

Post by 59imperial »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:09 pm 59imperial,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. As JPG and Ed have already said you have a great looking Model 10E there. As you learn to care for it and how to use it, I believe you will enjoy it. Looking at the pictures it appears the original owner did upgrade it to the Metal Extension Table and I see you have both fences. Do use the one with the rear fence lock. Setup and use of the Metal Extension Table is easier than the Wood Extension Table.

Before running your Model 10E remove the Jointer Cutterhead from the Spindle. Those knives on the cutterhead can do a lot of damage so the Jointer Cutterhead should only be on the Headstock when properly setup using the Jointer/Shaper Fence you have. With that off you can check if your Model 10E is functioning correctly. I would recommend loosening the Belts to check the motor and the Drive Sleeve and Quill Assemblies separately. Turn the Upper Drive Pulley by hand to see that the Bearings in the Drive Sleeve Assembly and Quill Assembly turn freely and smoothly. Run the motor without any belts on it to see if it is running well.

Hopefully you received a Owner's Guide with your Model 10E along with manuals for the other accessories like the Jig Saw. If you need manuals we can direct you to PDF's of the manuals that are available for free.

Feel free to ask any questions about your Shopsmith.

As JPG and Ed have already said Welcome to the wonderful world of Shopsmith's. Do know that Owning Shopsmith Tools can be habit forming as evidenced by my picture below.

_
4708-8865-55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg
These are 5 I restored and had together at one time. I still own the back one shown in this picture which was my first restoration. The second one, a Model 10E, is very similar to what your Model 10E would have looked like originally.

When you get to the Jig Saw we can discuss things to look out for and check to get it ready for use.
Thanks for the helpful advice! After doing some research on how to remove the cutter head, I was able to remove it last week. I didn’t realize at first that attachments are fastened to the spindle using hex screws. Also the cutter head uses two hex screws instead on one. My Shopsmith didn’t come with the original owner’s manual, but I was able to find the appropriate one for my 10E online. It would be nice to get some advice on restoring the jigsaw. It looks like it hasn’t been used in decades. It’s missing the mounting bolt, so I’ll need to look for one. I love your picture of the model 10s you restored. Looks almost like a Shopsmith dealer showroom from back in the day!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you need any manuals check under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first four topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there while others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. On his Google Drive there is a listing for 10E & 10ER under which you will find several restored documents/manuals for the Model 10's. Since your Model 10E was upgraded to the Metal Extension Table I would recommend having a Model 10ER Owner's Guide to show the difference in the operation between the two Extension Tables (wood/metal).

Below is a PDF of the Jig Saw Owner's Guide.
Jigsaw Model A-34_134-1X.pdf
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
The Jig Saw Owner's Guide lists maintenance instructions but yours likely needs more restoration first. Some disassembly may be needed and desired for a good cleanup. Any stuck parts will need to be freed up. Care must be taken to avoid damaging any parts as replacements can be hard to find. Remember your Jig Saw, like your Model 10E are over 70 years old.

Your Jig Saw, like the one in the Owner's Guide is the early version. Later they changed the Lower Frame Assembly. This is important to know that for a couple of reasons. First, all the parts used in the two versions of the Jig Saw except the Lower Frame, Drive Housing Cover plate and the number of screws holding it on are the same. That makes it a bit easier to find parts for it. The second thing to know is the Lower Frame of the Jig Saw version you have is hollow through the entire casting. Saw dust and debris can get in the holes all the way into the drive housing area. Dust and debris in there is a bad thing with the oil on the moving parts acting like a magnet collecting dust and gumming things up.

Below is a picture of the Jig Saw Mounting Bolt and the Spacer which is used when the Upper Arm is removed for the Sabre Saw function.

_
JIg Saw Mounting Bolt and Spacer.jpg
JIg Saw Mounting Bolt and Spacer.jpg (195.1 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Left hand thread???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

Nice catch. No, it is actually a right-hand thread, but the picture was flipped, my bad. As you know the Jig Saw Mounting Bolt goes into the hole of the Headstock for the bolt used to hold the Belt Cover on.

Here is the picture in correct orientation.

_
JIg Saw Mounting Bolt and Spacer.jpg
JIg Saw Mounting Bolt and Spacer.jpg (198.17 KiB) Viewed 463 times
Russ

Mark V 520