Old shopsmith with a poorly replaced motor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Old shopsmith with a poorly replaced motor

Post by JPG »

Look for the access notch.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The picture below shows the back side of a Speed Control Handle. On the right side of the Handle you can see the notch to access the set screw. This is one set screw your 5/16" Allen Wrench aka the Shopsmith Toolbox does not fit.

_
Speed Control Handle - back.jpg
Speed Control Handle - back.jpg (154.77 KiB) Viewed 763 times
On the Speed Control Assembly shown below the arrow indicates the dimple on the shaft where the set screw of the Speed Control Handle should seat.

_
speed control - arrow.jpg
speed control - arrow.jpg (150.64 KiB) Viewed 763 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
joneill4
Silver Member

Post by joneill4 »

"This is one set screw your 5/16" Allen Wrench aka the Shopsmith Toolbox does not fit."
That explains everything! Thanks Russ.

I noticed an interesting problem with my new headstock. I start my bowls by tracing around a 5 gallon bucket, so the bowls are pretty big. With the old, jury-rigged pulley, I had no trouble roughing in these big blanks. With the new headstock, the piece spins way too fast to start shaping. The whole machine literally leaves the ground on the slowest setting. Judging by the price, Shopsmith seems pretty proud of their speed reducer. I think I am going to go back to the Greenie to do the rough cutting on 4 or 5 bowls, then switch back to the Goldie for the higher speed work. Far from ideal, but at least it is doable.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Lowest speed will be around 700 RPM. Possibly the speed dial is off. I don't know if it's worth getting a tachometer for this but there are phone apps that do the job. I just tried a demo version of one that is really just an adjustable strobe light. Works as well as they used to on distributor ignitions.

I know someone who had a segmented bowl explode on his Shopsmith at slow speed. I got a PowerPro upgrade because I wanted to turn bowls. I also obtained a used Speed Reducer at a good price so I can make things rotate at ridiculously slow speeds in combination with the PowerPro.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Try balancing the rough blanks to minimize the bouncing.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,