New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dovetaildan
Bronze Member

Re: New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Post by dovetaildan »

I like the look of the touch screen instead of the buttons. Some unanswered questions but I think I'm going to go for the upgrade from PowerPro Gen 1 to Gen 2.
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

RFGuy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:15 am
RFGuy wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:18 am Anyone know when/where demos will be? Can't find anything on this on the website like it used to be.
Answering my own question...just got an email about a demo with Mike Young tomorrow regarding a Mark 7 demo. What is NOT clear is whether it will, or will not, have the Gen 2 PowerPro for the demo. Posting in case anyone else wants to attend to find out. Check out link below:

https://www.shopsmith.com/live-online-d ... esenter=MY
Anyone have an update or watch this? Just curious if they demonstrated the new Gen 2?

Thanks
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

cooch366 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:56 pm
Anyone have an update or watch this? Just curious if they demonstrated the new Gen 2?

Thanks
Only a Gen 1 demo...still early and not one in his hands yet I believe. I think he was going to talk about the Gen 2 differences at the end, but I wasn't able to watch the entire demo. Sorry.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:30 pm
cooch366 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:56 pm

Thanks
Only a Gen 1 demo...still early and not one in his hands yet I believe. I think he was going to talk about the Gen 2 differences at the end, but I wasn't able to watch the entire demo. Sorry.
Absolutely no worries, thanks for the update, that information was what I was looking for. I would have watched a future one if it was the Gen 2, so you saved me a couple of hours. So thank you. 👍
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I believe that I'm going to stick with my PowerPoint the way it is. If, from my reading this thread is true, I can't justify changing everything out just for an improved digital readout. However, if it would be just swapping out one display for the other, I may change my mind.
BPR
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Thanks Dusty! Also, I ordered the Gen 2 PowerPro headstock last week and it shipped yesterday with delivery date of Saturday 6/10/23!! Great service SS!!! I will keep everyone posted w/pics. May be next week before I get a chance to install it though. I plan on putting my Gen 1 PP up for sale as soon as I get my new one running.

Jack
dusty wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:00 pm
claimdude wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:10 am I bought my Mark V in the early 80s and upgraded it along the way. I did the DIY of the Power Pro right after it launched and have been very happy with it. I will be ordering the complete PowerPro Gen 2 headstock this week and sell my Gen 1 when I get it. I am retiring 10/31/23 and want the latest iteration of the PowerPro for my retirement years!

Jack
Are they shipping the new PowerPro now. Maybe you want to order now to have it when you retire.

CONGRATULATIONS on your upcom retirement. May you have as many or more years hanging out in the shop as I have had. I am blessed with having been fully retired since 1998 (twenty five years). I had a military career plus two in the corporate world United Technologies and Rockwell Collins/Siemens.

I go to the shop these days mostly to bask in the sun and sip hot coffee.
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

May be next week before I get a chance to install it though. I plan on putting my Gen 1 PP up for sale as soon as I get my new one running.
Let us know how much better the new features are and what kind of resale value there is for your old headstock. I am also thinking about replacing my old PRO upgraded headstock.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Pics of my new PowerPro Gen 2. Runs well. I have to change the plug over to 220. Should get that done tonight.

Jack
Attachments
Image00002.jpg
Image00002.jpg (208.34 KiB) Viewed 12484 times
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg (223.26 KiB) Viewed 12484 times
Clear protective cover is still on the touch screen.
Clear protective cover is still on the touch screen.
Image00003.jpg (142.44 KiB) Viewed 12483 times
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

That was fast. They must have them in stock. Tell us all about it. What are the those black circular things on the back side of the headstock over the nameplate? What is the little connector on the control panel?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

claimdude wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:44 am Pics of my new PowerPro Gen 2. Runs well. I have to change the plug over to 220. Should get that done tonight.

Jack
Jack,

Thanks! Can you measure the LCD screen size (display part, not bezel)? Would like to know x (width) and y (height) dimensions. Also, once you have had some time on it give us an update and let us know your thoughts.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor