Wheelchair user/ lower way rail REMOVAL.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Wheelchair user/ lower way rail REMOVAL.

Post by Thomschuck »

Hello Fellow Geniuses,
Some of you may know I use my Shopsmith Mark 5/500 as a lathe. I also turn sitting in my wheelchair. Things have got worse quickly. Bottom line…. I want to remove the bottom way rail from my machine. This way my legs will fit under the machine. Except for using my machine in drillpress mode what do you think of my idea? My legs are now useless. Leaning forward to turn is causing havoc thru my lower back and pelvis. If that single rail was gone I am golden. I have been entertaining the idea of buying a Midi Laguna lathe. But then I am not using my Shopsmith. Many of you will agree what is life without the Shopsmith?
Give me some ideas people! Anything? THANK YOU!
Thom Schuck
Portland, Oregon
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Wheelchair user/ lower way rail REMOVAL.

Post by JPG »

A substantial base similar to a desk would allow removal of one bench tube. Think re shop deputy.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The 10E/ER's use a wooden bench instead of bench tubes, so definitely possible.
You may get some ideas from this video. The subject used his Mark V to turn duck calls, so primarily lathe work, and had it mounted on a bench to facilitate working while sitting.

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Good morning, Thom,

One of the difficulties you are having is you don't want to set up your Shopsmith Mark V to do only one function. The Universal Lathe Stand you asked me about before would work for the Lathe function once set up but not so well for other functions. For those of you wondering what I am talking about, Thom and I email back and forth and it was a discussion there. One of the problems with that Robust Tools Stand is you have to disassemble the stand to make changes in how it is set up. Changing the height or the tilt of the tool base requires some heavy work first. This may include removing the tool/Lathe mounted on it. Adjusting the tilt with the tool in place means it could easily tilt forward to the 30 degrees setting when trying to go back to 0 degrees from what it was set at for turning. The same would be true when going from 0 degrees to the Lathe tilt position. This could be dangerous with that weight suddenly going forward when trying to adjust the tilt. You would not want to go into Drill Press position for example with the Mark V tilted forward. Tilting the Mark V forward for Lathe work is a desirable function of that stand for your situation.

JPG's suggestion of building a base and mounting the Shopsmith like the Shop Deputy could allow better access under the setup but would still have limitations for you. The same may be true with Ron's suggestion of using a Model 10E or 10ER which mounts on a bench without bench tubes. Either one could be mounted on a bench designed for your needs to allow better access for you.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

If your Shopsmith is now on standard legs then at a minimum you need to lock them down to the floor, or perhaps a sheet of plywood on the floor. This will keep the legs from splaying side to side and minimize twisting. If it won't get in the way a cross tie on the back side between the legs would help. Something like a desk configuration mentioned above may be the way to go, even without the desktop itself as long as you have a pair of sturdy pedestals for mounting the base castings. They could also be further supported with bracing on the back and on the floor if needed.

But perhaps an actual sturdy desk without the top or some portion of it cut away is your solution, and perhaps you may want to find a 10E(R) Shopsmith for turning. It is heavier and easier to mount on something like a desk or custom bench.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

I understand what you all have stated. Thank You! Allow me to ask again. If I pull the one front bench rail out am I going to have problems in lathe operation only. I ask this because this would be a test to see how my body responds to turning with me sitting in a more neutral position. If I can turn without going into a pain fit then I am golden. This will address several concerns. The most important would be is buying a stand alone lathe knowing my body will allow me to keep doing my lathe work as well as leaving my SS in one piece for other woodworking I do. Woodcraft is my life right now. I can’t amagine life without saw dust in my shoes. Thanks for helping me along. I have hit a wall and I need to figure out how to deal with my busted up body. Can I pull out one bench rail and safely run my machine without it ending up in my lap? THANK YOU again!
Thom Schuck

SS Biscuit Cutter
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

I just read the reply about mounting the machine down o a piece of material to keep the stand from splaying apart. EXCELLENT idea. That was my worry or thought. I think that maybe the best way to go on my first try. I also understand know about following the old ER set up then bench up the ends. Now I can think these ideas thru. I have become so weak that even the modification will kick my butt. Coming out of winter hibernation is hard.
Thom Schuck

SS Biscuit Cutter
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3