OFFICIAL: SHOPSMITH 75th Anniversary Celebration Event – October 6-7, 2023

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jpdalton
Gold Member

OFFICIAL: SHOPSMITH 75th Anniversary Celebration Event – October 6-7, 2023

Post by jpdalton »

Official postings on the Shopsmith user event in Dayton, OH Oct 6-7, 2023

So, a stake has been put in the ground for this - a deposit has been placed on a facility for the cocktail reception on Friday evening, October 6 following the main day of factory tours/events - looks like we're full steam ahead...
  • I'm working closely with the team at Shopsmith, Inc. to pull together details, but also taking input from the community to make this an event that a good cross-section of us would like to attend.
  • I have put together a special Facebook group to help with the organization, and I encourage you to join that group, as I'll be communicating primarily through that group. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/207332488849298/
  • I realize some of you don't/won't do Facebook, so I'll continue to update the Forums community through this thread - tag it if you want to stay connected.
  • If you're not going to participate in the Facebook group, and you are interested in the event, let me know with a response here. And please be specific ("I'm definitely going!", "I'm thinking about going...", "Won't attend, but still want to hear about it.").
Thanks so much for your consideration on this - any input is appreciated.
John Dalton
Massachusetts
1948 10E, S/N 5052 (restored)
1950 10ER, S/N 26473 (restored)
1952 10ER, S/N 51721 (restored as dedicated drill press)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263334 (functionally restored)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263705 (restored/PowerPro)
c1959 Mark 2, S/N 81940 (undergoing restoration)
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: OFFICIAL: SHOPSMITH 75th Anniversary Celebration Event – October 6-7, 2023

Post by dusty »

jpdalton wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:31 am Official postings on the Shopsmith user event in Dayton, OH Oct 6-7, 2023

So, a stake has been put in the ground for this - a deposit has been placed on a facility for the cocktail reception on Friday evening, October 6 following the main day of factory tours/events - looks like we're full steam ahead...
  • I'm working closely with the team at Shopsmith, Inc. to pull together details, but also taking input from the community to make this an event that a good cross-section of us would like to attend.
  • I have put together a special Facebook group to help with the organization, and I encourage you to join that group, as I'll be communicating primarily through that group. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/207332488849298/
  • I realize some of you don't/won't do Facebook, so I'll continue to update the Forums community through this thread - tag it if you want to stay connected.
  • If you're not going to participate in the Facebook group, and you are interested in the event, let me know with a response here. And please be specific ("I'm definitely going!", "I'm thinking about going...", "Won't attend, but still want to hear about it.").
Thanks so much for your consideration on this - any input is appreciated.
I will not be able to attend.

I would especially have enjoyed meeting a few of the members who participate on FB but never here on the Forum. The family of Shopsmith users is much larger than this forum indicates..

I do hope that the weekend will allow for round table discussions where members can share their Shopsmith experiences.

Please do not make this a "New Equipment Only" event.

Shopsmith just might benefit by hearing what the community would like to see in the way of "Changes and Improvements of the Mark 5/V".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I am thinking about going and am interested, but do not participate with Facebook. I will need to know more about the particulars before committing.
BPR
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hello John,

I am not on Facebook, but I have an interest. Oct 6 likely can't work for me, but a day-trip on Oct 7 is a possibility.

Thanks,
Chris
sawdustfun
Silver Member

Post by sawdustfun »

I don't take part in anything facebook. My wife however does have a presence on social media. She joined the 75th anniversary group and referenced my forum name. She also indicated our desire to attend. Hope this doesn't confuse things with me on tge forum & her (Linda) on Facebook. Just trying to stay on top of the flow of information.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I closed my Facebook account over a year ago. Unfortunately, one must have a Facebook account to access your special Facebook group. I still hope to be able to attend but that is dependent on selling our current home this summer in time to be able to go. We get the keys to our new (to us) home the 25th and our current home will go up for sale in the second half of July.

Anyone looking for a home in my area? I could be convinced to leave a Shopsmith Model 10E to get you started. :)
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
slotcarcharlie
Bronze Member

Post by slotcarcharlie »

I am definitely interested in attend, and since we only live about an hour away in the Columbus area, it is very doable. Having been a Shopsmith owner since 1982, with a Model 500 bought at the Columbus, Ohio Shopsmith store, and currently owning 3 Shopsmiths, I really enjoy the camaraderie amongst the owners. It would be great top seesaw things are going at the "mothership". :)
slotcarcharlie
Bronze Member

Post by slotcarcharlie »

OK, so I just applied for membership into the Special Event Facebook group. In the meantime, is there an official "Shopsmith, Inc" webpage to see what all is planned?
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

slotcarcharlie wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:41 am OK, so I just applied for membership into the Special Event Facebook group. In the meantime, is there an official "Shopsmith, Inc" webpage to see what all is planned?
Hey, Charlie! I see you’ve been added to the Facebook group. There is information there, but nothing formal on the Shopsmith, Inc. page at this time.

There will be a registration site up shortly (accessible even to those outside of Facebook) with lots of details.
John Dalton
Massachusetts
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

It's time!

We have a terrific event planned for the Shopsmith Owners on October 6th and 7th, 2023. Registration will open on August 1st and close September 15th. When you register, you will be asked to select morning or afternoon tours at the factory. The registration page will have specific times, topics, and names of presenters. To cover meeting room and event expenses not already covered by the factory, registration will be $20 per person.

The activities will take place either at Shopsmith, 6530 Poe Ave, Dayton, OH 45414 or at the Courtyard by Marriott first floor meeting room, 7087 Miller Ln, Dayton, OH 45414. Here are a few highlights:

Friday
  • Morning and Afternoon Factory Tours, Demonstrations, Meet the makers, and save during special sales for attendees only! Oh yes, there will be PRIZE drawings!
  • Evening Reception hosted by Shopsmith, Inc at SCENE 75, Entertainment and Amusement Center.
Saturday
  • Morning networking and coffee followed by presentations by well-known YouTube Woodworking Channel Hosts! (Stay tuned for the big reveal!!)
  • Afternoon - on your own.
Visit the National Museum of the Air Force, the America's Packard Museum which is the largest public collection of Packard Motor Car Company automobiles and memorabilia in the United States, or the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery.
Event space is limited so only the first 120 registrants will be able to attend Friday's events at the factory. Due to insurance and liability concerns, you must be 18 years of age or older to attend the factory tour.

We've negotiated a special rate of $122/night for our fellow Shopsmith Owners at the nearby Courtyard by Marriott. Click here to book now or use the word "SHOPSMITH" when you call (937) 890-6112.

Book your group rate for Shopsmith Owners Group - https://www.marriott.com/events/start.m ... 82&key=GRP

See you there!
John Dalton
Massachusetts