Forstner bits with a square taper shank

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Seezle
Gold Member

Forstner bits with a square taper shank

Post by Seezle »

Hey all! My 10er purchase came with all sorts of interesting bit and bobs that have me scurrying back and forth between the manuals and internet to learn their purpose. I came upon two forstner bits with these interesting square-tapered shank ends - shown below next to a round-end one.

Run_Forstner_run.png
Run_Forstner_run.png (894.43 KiB) Viewed 1733 times

My initial research revealed they are "drill bits of bygone days for manual operation, ie, for use with a hand brace, had a square shank that was inserted into the square drive at the bottom of the drill chuck of the brace. This stopped the drill bit from slipping in the chuck."

https://www.fine-tools.com/auger-bit-co ... shaft.html
(Yes, these cite auger bits but I assume the same era/use as the forstners)

Long way around this question: Are square-tapered bits meant to used in a Shopsmith 10er, or did I just inherit some cool bits?
Last edited by Seezle on Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
=================
Scott E.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Forstner bits with a square taper shank

Post by jsburger »

You just inherited some cool bits. As you found they are used in a hand brace.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Seezle
Gold Member

Post by Seezle »

Cool bits it is! Thanks, John -
=================
Scott E.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Great find! I have several braces, but no such cool bits to put in them.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Yes, I have an old hand brace and an assortment of square shank bits for it. None of mine are forestner bits, but mostly old spiral bits. I really don't use them. They just sit around and collect dust.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Wow- hand cranking on a forstner bit, the ancestors were made of some tuff stuff !
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bainin wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:14 pm Wow- hand cranking on a forstner bit, the ancestors were made of some tuff stuff !
Actually, if you keep the bits sharp and apply no more pressure than is needed using a brace and bit is not all that difficult.

Anyone who yearns to clear their shop of out brace and bits just let me know. I'll send you my address.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

dusty wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:07 pm Actually, if you keep the bits sharp and apply no more pressure than is needed using a brace and bit is not all that difficult.
And they will stay sharp longer at slow brace cranking speeds.
Anyone who yearns to clear their shop of out brace and bits just let me know. I'll send you my address.
I don't know how good the braces I have are because I don't have any bits to use with them. I paid somewhere between $1 and $5 for each of the 3 braces I have so I would be surprised if they'll end up being more than decoration. However, I'll try to remember your offer if I ever do get rid of any of them. Are you interested in any in rough condition? Any hints on appraising a brace found at a garage or estate sale?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER