New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

claimdude
Gold Member

Re: New Generation 2 PowerPro Headstock Touchscreen

Post by claimdude »

Ditto the measurements. I expect the case size was driven by the circuit board(s) inside. Smaller boards tends to be synonymous with higher costs so the that may be why the case is a little large. I plan on setting up 4 or so favorites as that takes care of 98% of my use. I really like my unit so far. Haven't cut anything with it as I just got it put on my SS yesterday afternoon.

Jack
freemanpa wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:20 am I just finished a PP1-to-PP2 upgrade on one of my 2 Mark 7s so I measured the screen. It's 3.75" wide by 2.14" tall, 4.3" diagonally. Give or take a couple of hundredths.

FWIW, I think there's way too much empty space in the case for the PP2 display. Probably could have been made smaller. My $0.02.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Yea- Stop buttons too small to my liking. With a touch screen the stop button could be 3 inches across, I don't like hunt and peck
for emergency features.

b
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

bainin wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:07 pm Yea- Stop buttons too small to my liking. With a touch screen the stop button could be 3 inches across, I don't like hunt and peck
for emergency features.

b
Does the stop button start small and get bigger when it's running? Once it's running the Stop should fill almost all the screen and just leave a spot to touch for other functions. If software can be upgraded then maybe we'll see that someday. If you want a PowerPro it is some improvement over Gen 1, and maybe we can expect a Gen 2.1 some day, so it doesn't present any reason not to get one. The upgrade kit for existing PowerPros is not incredibly expensive but I'm not seeing a reason to upgrade right away, and I can still see that I'll do it some day.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Why not just use the head stock main power switch for emergencies. After all we have been doing it that way for 70 years.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:36 pm Why not just use the head stock main power switch for emergencies. After all we have been doing it that way for 70 years.
It's not the emergency stop switch, It's the regular stop running switch that should be easy to reach and not require re-booting the PowerPro when you hit it. Being larger is another advantage of using it as an emergency stop. Possibly it could stop the motor faster than just removing power as well.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

My observations after watching the video:

1) 'Confirm' function is still there, but only needed once per speed selection. So, say you are using TS at 3450 RPM, it looks like you'd only have to 'CONFIRM' once, each subsequent time you turn it ON there's no CONFIRM unless you change speed. Much better implementation IMO.

2) Tensioning is much different on the version that you can see the mounting screws, as compared to the version that they are countersunk under the motor pan. Not really a PP1 to PP2 change, the motor mount changed way before the display.

3) BESTORQ belts. I've forgotten whether Jim said new or improved technology. But I bought a spare lower PP belt a few months ago and sure enough it is BESTORQ. Just opened it up. Yes, it is significantly grippier. I'll be buying a new Upper Belt on my next SS order and trying these out with reduced tension. Cooler operation of the Idler is much needed IMO. Not part of the upgrade.

4) Jim mentioned balancing the belt tensions like was needed in PP1 but if he did that step I missed it. Perhaps not needed with the new belts.(?)

5) Better display contrast with the color display, as one might expect. The run-time display now includes both set and actual RPM, where PP1 only displayed actual. Maybe there is something in user settings, but this is not useful to me. I'd rather see actual temp and actual RPM, I usually have a pretty good idea what it is set for.

6) My impression is that the new enclosed speed sensor is not applicable to PP1 to PP2 upgrade. The speed sensor cable appears to now enter the motor body, so I'm thinking the speed sensor is now enclosed within the motor rather than under the fan shroud as in PP1. Possibly also implemented in all motors since the mounts changed.(?) This one is a disappointment, but this is consistent with not seeing a new sensor in the retrofit kit.

7) As an airplane guy, I didn't love the power wire routing from switch to fuse to thermal disconnect. Maybe it's better than it looked in the video, but I thought the power wires seemed close to moving parts (the quill). Kind of a two dimensional look in the video, but I'd consider taking steps to control those wires. Chaffing of insulation can lead to a short circuit. I wish Jim had discussed the reasons for these changes as they could be put on PP1 without going to PP2 if they are useful.

- David
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

DLB wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:42 pm My observations after watching the video:

6) My impression is that the new enclosed speed sensor is not applicable to PP1 to PP2 upgrade. The speed sensor cable appears to now enter the motor body, so I'm thinking the speed sensor is now enclosed within the motor rather than under the fan shroud as in PP1. Possibly also implemented in all motors since the mounts changed.(?) This one is a disappointment, but this is consistent with not seeing a new sensor in the retrofit kit.

- David
Anybody have an i.d. On this part? Jim mention balancing the belts at 2:41:02 and at 2:41:19. Everything is being buttoned up. Maybe edited out?
IMG_0761.jpeg
IMG_0761.jpeg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 5888 times
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:42 pm My observations after watching the video:

- David
David,

Thanks for the excellent summary and feedback. Appreciated. Video was just too long for me to watch all of it, but I did skim some sections. Yeah, wiring harness safety with PowerPro Gen 1 was a concern of mine based on past discussions here considering how compact everything is inside of the headstock. Those belts sounds interesting. Thanks.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

larryhrockisland wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:07 am Anybody have an i.d. On this part? Jim mention balancing the belts at 2:41:02 and at 2:41:19. Everything is being buttoned up. Maybe edited out?
IMG_0761.jpeg
That is the extension piece that allows the quill feed lock to work with the longer quill feed. I didn't note reference times on the video, but Jim explains/uses it when installing the new quill feed. In combination, these move the quill feed lock outboard to provide clearance for the new display.

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:36 am Those belts sounds interesting. Thanks.
IIRC, the improved upper belt would also work on a conventional headstock. Whether it is needed or useful is another matter. But if I was running the new style Idler bearings I'd strongly consider it. I don't have a high opinion of the current Idler bearings, but the older water-pump style are relatively bullet proof.

- David