Anyone use the bandsaw for cutting metal?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

steverboss
Gold Member

Anyone use the bandsaw for cutting metal?

Post by steverboss »

Does anyone use the Shopsmith bandsaw for cutting metal? If so, how well does it work? Do you leave the metal cutting blade in for sawing wood, too? Does Shopsmith sell metal cutting blades or do you get them elsewhere? Any info is much appreciated! 😊
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone use the bandsaw for cutting metal?

Post by rpd »

I have cut soft metals, aluminum and brass, on mine using the normal blades for wood. For thin pieces it helps to back with wood.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I got a bi-metal blade for cutting aluminum. There are other bi-metal blades that can be used for steel but I have other tools for doing that. I ordered the bi-metal blade from Amazon, iMachinist brand. I don't think it will be any good for cutting wood.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

From my understanding, it is the speed of the bandsaw that limits what metals can be safely cut. A bandsaw blade speed for wood is 700 to 2000 FPM while metal bandsaws are normally 50 - 300 FPM. Soft metals are able to be cut easily on wood working equipment. If you can slow the SS bandsaw down to the correct speed for the metal you want to cut, it is possible with the correct blade. https://bladeserpent.com/media/asset/s/ ... -embed.pdf
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I cut brass and aluminum on my SS band saw. It is not a problem. I use a bi-metal blade designed for that purpose. They are not good for cutting wood. I would never use a wood blade for metal unless it was carbide tiped. Using a non carbide wood blade on metal will ruin it in short order. I bought my bi-metal blade from Timberwolf.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT