Set Screw Advice

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Set Screw Advice

Post by db5 »

Prepping 510 to give to son. Is there any reason I wouldn't put putty/clay in the set screw on the silver knurled knob?
Attachments
SS Set Screw.JPG
SS Set Screw.JPG (17.3 KiB) Viewed 4799 times
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Set Screw Advice

Post by garys »

Shopsmith put putty in that screw from the factory so you can do the same.

Having putty in that screw hole serves a second purpose of helping you remember to not loosen that screw instead of the one on your arbor when changing blades, etc.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:25 pm Shopsmith put putty in that screw from the factory so you can do the same.
That is not the setscrew SS put putty in at the factory. I have three SS head stocks here. A Power Pro bought new by me (2012) from SS, a conventional head stock bought new by me (1994) from SS as a 510 system and a conventional head stock bought from eBay (made in 1999). None of them have putty in that set screw. There are two setscrews that SS put putty in. One is on top of the head stock that keeps the quill from being accidentally disengaged/removed and one on the right side of the head stock above the depth stop assembly.

There is no reason you can't put putty in the setscrew in question if you want to. That setscrew is not loosened regularly for anything so probably no reason not to.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Both of my headstocks, 1983 and 1984 came from Shopsmith with putty in that screw hole.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:25 pm Both of my headstocks, 1983 and 1984 came from Shopsmith with putty in that screw hole.
Then SS must have changed at some point.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Would be 'nice' if they quit doing so with the other two also JMO.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:54 am Would be 'nice' if they quit doing so with the other two also JMO.
Right. There's no need to fill those two. I remember from somewhere that the knurled knob setscrew could be filled to prevent mistaking it for the setscrew in an arbor or tool mounted on the spindle and loosening it unintentionally.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER