10ER Lathe dust collection and leather skirt

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mike
Gold Member

10ER Lathe dust collection and leather skirt

Post by Mike »

I'm finishing up my almost 3 year battle with Covid, multiple surgeries and parts of both lungs removed. Not looking for sympathy, I'm fine and hike daily, just trying to provide background on my need for as clean air as we can get woodworking. I have overhead filtration, 1650 CFM portable filtration very good mask and shield. Anywho, I'm working on using a 24" spiral duct coupling, on order, in picture it would just be the outside diameter on the cardboard mockup. It will clear everything though I may have some design adjustments at tail stock end when in close quarters to lathe chuck. Should be free standing, removable and will have the ability to have (2) 4" hoses attached. This 10ER will be used exclusively as a bowl turning lathe.

Not sure how it will work and was wondering if anyone has ever tried somethin similar? any critique or suggestions welcomed and I will post as it goes.

The leather is going to be for skirts on each side to keep tooling clean down under. It is in my pea brain as well and as it unfolds I will post.

Thank you!!
Attachments
10 ER Lathe dust collection a 08 05 23.jpg
10 ER Lathe dust collection a 08 05 23.jpg (304.57 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
24 in spiral coupling.jpg
24 in spiral coupling.jpg (44.66 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
I may be old but I’m slow
https://www.schmuckatellico.com/
https://scshiftknob.com
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: 10ER Lathe dust collection and leather skirt

Post by nuhobby »

Thanks for sharing, and best wishes!
While I thought my 2022 Covid case was minor, as it turns out I've had long term daily headaches for 5 months continuously this year. Most factors have been ruled out other than the virus itself.
Mike
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

nuhobby wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:43 pm Thanks for sharing, and best wishes!
While I thought my 2022 Covid case was minor, as it turns out I've had long term daily headaches for 5 months continuously this year. Most factors have been ruled out other than the virus itself.
Covid sucks, I just look at it as a challenge to overcome. Stay positive, best wishes to you as well.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Mike,

Sorry to hear about COVID and how it impacted you. Both times I got it, I literally thought I was going to die, but then I recovered fairly quickly. It sounds like yours was A LOT worse than mine. Have you seen this Mark V dust collection hood for lathe work online (link below)? I don't know how well this works, but this is on my list to try for my Mark V some day. Maybe this will give you more ideas for how to implement it with your 10ER. Let us know what you come up with and beautiful 10ER and Mark VII. :D

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-co ... ith-Lathe/
Attachments
MarkV_lathe_dust_collection.jpg
MarkV_lathe_dust_collection.jpg (68.35 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Mike
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

RFGuy- it looks cool and he had some sort of Shopbot, wish I had one, to do the cutouts which really makes it pretty dialed in. I like the ends and may consider that. Thanks for the link, may try that also on my VII, :-)
Erik
Gold Member

Post by Erik »

Hi Mike,

Last year I built a dust-collection shroud for my 520 that works pretty well. You can see pictures and comments at viewtopic.php?p=296512&hilit=erik+lathe#p296512. Essentially it is a 1-cubic-foot box mounted to the carriage and then attached to my DC which draws about 1,000 CFM. The design I borrowed gets a lot of airflow directly around the turning area which I think improves the dust collection. I also used plexiglass on the front and sides to contain the chips and yet still be able to see what I was working on (like you I am mostly turning bowls).

Regards,

-Erik

1990 Mark V 520 (purchased as a 510 in 1992, upgraded to 520 in 2007)
4" Jointer, 11" Bandsaw, 6" Beltsander
Clear Vue CVMAX Cyclone, Nordfab Ductwork, Dust Right Ports, Dylos DC1100 Pro Monitor

Other items: Incra V120 Miter Gauge, Sharkguard, Jessem Cear-Cut TS Guides, Cross-Cut Sled (Nick Ferry), SS Drum Sander (Keith's Shop), Bandsaw Circle Cutter (Inspire Woodcraft), Bandsaw Template Guide, Wedgie Sled (Jerry Bennett), Moxon Vise (Katz-Moses).
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Erik wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:53 am Last year I built a dust-collection shroud for my 520 that works pretty well.
Erik,

Thanks for reminding me. Yes, your approach looks very good and I need to bookmark your post so that I remember when I get around to this for my Mark V. One question, how well does this dust hood capture/contain larger shavings during woodturning? I expect it does quite well with sawdust during turning and sanding operations, but I am just wondering if errant large shavings come flying off and escape this hood or if it still captures them fairly well (larger the shaving/dust particle the greater the airflow needed to capture it). When I first saw the other option for Mark V lathe dust shroud that was my main thought being that it tries to captures large shavings that may go flying off in all directions, but that nearby sawdust to the dust port it would capture easily. In the end, your approach may be far superior to it so interested in any feedback positive or negative that you have about your approach. Anything you might consider doing differently if you built it again? Again, it is well constructed and looks like it would do an excellent job provided one has enough airflow connected to it. Thanks again.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Mike
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

Erik- Very nice quality build. Now I’m thinking of doing suction port high and low vs. side by side. The plexiglass is also nice.
Erik
Gold Member

Post by Erik »

RFGuy,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you ... I didn't see your comment until this morning.

The dust collection box captures most of the chips, but they pile up in the bottom of the box rather than being evacuated by the DC. The chips are too heavy for a velocity of 1,000 FPM to deflect them into or towards the 4" dust collection port. That was one of the reasons that I added the detachable plexiglass sides to the box. Without them there would be a lot more stray chips. In contrast, as you surmised, most of the finer dust is captured and taken away (I know that because my particle counter remained relatively constant for a test I did earlier today).

I've attached a couple of pictures from this afternoon's turning test: the first picture shows a plan view of my 520 and the chips after turning a short spindle. You can see from the picture that most of the stray chips that escaped the box landed on the wooden accessory shelf. After taking that picture I swept up the chips/dust outside the box (floor and accessory shelf) and compared them to the volume of material inside the box. The box is doing a reasonable job of containing the stray chips although it does require periodic vacuuming of the box. I also noticed that there was very little fine dust -- the kind that can hurt you -- in the mix. That is consistent with my particle count staying about the same.
Regards,

-Erik

2023 0809 Dust Collection Box for 520.jpg
2023 0809 Dust Collection Box for 520.jpg (918.45 KiB) Viewed 2995 times

2023 0809 Chips captured vs. chips escaped.jpg
2023 0809 Chips captured vs. chips escaped.jpg (412.41 KiB) Viewed 2995 times

1990 Mark V 520 (purchased as a 510 in 1992, upgraded to 520 in 2007)
4" Jointer, 11" Bandsaw, 6" Beltsander
Clear Vue CVMAX Cyclone, Nordfab Ductwork, Dust Right Ports, Dylos DC1100 Pro Monitor

Other items: Incra V120 Miter Gauge, Sharkguard, Jessem Cear-Cut TS Guides, Cross-Cut Sled (Nick Ferry), SS Drum Sander (Keith's Shop), Bandsaw Circle Cutter (Inspire Woodcraft), Bandsaw Template Guide, Wedgie Sled (Jerry Bennett), Moxon Vise (Katz-Moses).
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Erik,

Thanks. Yeah, I still like your design and will probably consider something more akin to it when I do mine. For some time, all I had really seen was that instructables webpage with the large cloth enclosure for lathe dust collection on a Mark V. Your solution looks more elegant and probably is more effective in the end. I like the compactness of it and would probably never do a long spindle on it anyway. Access for chisels seems better with yours as well. It just seemed like the instructables version might capture any errant large wood shavings, but then cleaning them out would be a pain. Also, fine sawdust could escape through it, whereas the solid sides of yours would contain it. Shavings are A LOT easier to clean up from everything than sawdust anyway, but sometimes in a long session they can be burdensome to clean after. Yeah, never going to get enough CFM to pull all of them into the dust hood. Good luck on dust capture and keep checking your particle counts in your shop. Those of us who "get it" about particle counts are kind of the lone wolves in this hobby. Hoping I can continue to do this hobby for a long time yet, but need to keep what lung capacity I still have to do so. One of the local professional woodworkers that I follow on IG is a young guy and posted recently about having to stop it and sell his business because his doctor told him to because of his lung issues. Sad... :(
📶RF Guy