Jointer Knife Removal and Teardown

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Jointer Knife Removal and Teardown

Post by JPG »

A pillow block is a method to retain a bearing and mount it to a flat surface by a bolt on opposing sides normal to the axis of rotation.

End Cap ???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Darcywells
Silver Member

Post by Darcywells »

JPG,

Thanks for the response. The "end cap" is the part that goes over the bearings. I do not know what it is called. It is part number 28 and 29 on the joitner diagram on the Shopsmith website: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/par ... xpview.htm.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

They also serve the bearing mounting function that a 'pillow block' does. They should simply pull loose from the bearing once they are dismounted from the base.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Darcywells
Silver Member

Post by Darcywells »

JPG,

Mine is from a 1950's Greenie. It has not seen the light of day until this week. I do not know how to remove it from the base, I have tried to pull it apart by hand, but that did not work. Any ideas as to how to remove it from the whole unit?
Thanks for your continued replies.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Have you removed the mounting bolts(37)? That should make the entire assembly(26 - 37) separate from the base.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Darcywells
Silver Member

Post by Darcywells »

JPG,

I have the whole unit out of the machine, I have taken off the blades and the wedgess, cleaned up everything the best I could. I watched one video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqUmmIye0os at minute 7:43, where a man took to using a punch or something else to hammer off the cover. I am not sure this is the way to do it. There are no screws to hold on part numbesr 28 and 29.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That should work, but notice he taps a small amount at a time. You do not want cocking to occur. Long time on = more difficult removal.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Darcywells
Silver Member

Post by Darcywells »

JPG,
Thank you for the guidance. I will give it a try.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I hope I never have to remove mine. It has been in place since it was built by Shopsmith made the unit back in 1982. I have used it a lot so I've changed blades a number of times but have not had a reason to remove the head.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Front and Rear Bearing Housings (actual part name) can be a bit stubborn to remove after a long time. I have done it on 2 Model 4E Jointers from 1953 and a Model 620 Greenie from 1954 successfully. If you have one, you can try a puller on the Rear Bearing Housing that the drive shaft comes through. For the Front (and Rear if you do not have a puller) Bearing Housing you can try tapping them off as you saw in the video, but I would use a piece of hardwood rather than a punch avoiding metal to metal. Less chance of damaging it. Work slowly as JPG said
That should work, but notice he taps a small amount at a time. You do not want cocking to occur. Long time on = more difficult removal.
Here is some good news for you. Your Greenie Jointer uses the same Bearings (part reference 27) and Bearing Housing (part reference 28 & 29) as current Shopsmith Jointers and all models in-between. Unfortunately, Shopsmith does not sell the Bearing Housings separately for some reason so if needed you would have to find them used or buy a complete new Cutter Head Assembly. If you need other Cutter Head Assembly parts do know that the current Cutter Head Assembly from November 1990 until now is different than the older one. Knives, Bearings and Bearing Holders are the same but Wedges, Kinfe adjusting screws and the Cutter Head casting are all different. I don't recall if the Wedge Screws are the same or different. The newer Cutter Head Assembly will fit in all older Jointers.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.