Sanding Disk Hub Upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Sanding Disk Hub Upgrade

Post by rlkeeney »

Can the sanding disk that came with the 500 be upgraded to the hubs that come with the 520?
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Sanding Disk Hub Upgrade

Post by edma194 »

It can be upgraded to a new one with the longer arbor. Possibly some kind of adapter could be made to extend the arbor but a new 12" sanding disk only costs $59.49, and I see a used one for $39.00 on eBay. Hardly worth bothering with any kind of arbor change.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The 500 to 510 or 520 upgrade kit from SS contains the longer hub to upgrade the sanding disk. So yes it can be done.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:51 am The 500 to 510 or 520 upgrade kit from SS contains the longer hub to upgrade the sanding disk. So yes it can be done.
Mark V Model 500 to 520 Upgrade

I should have paid closer attention to the details. Maybe this is a practical upgrade after all. We need the part number and the price, if they will sell them that way.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The longer Hub itself for the Sanding Disk for all later Mark V Models (510/505, 520, M 7 & M 4) is P/N 514493 Disc Sander Hub $24.57 which can be found at the link below. The longer Hub Steel Sanding Disk can be used on the Mark 5/V 500 also.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/ite ... tem=514493
I have upgraded one of my Steel Sanding Disks from the original shorter Hub to the Longer Hub. As John said
So yes it can be done.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

jsburger wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:51 am The 500 to 510 or 520 upgrade kit from SS contains the longer hub to upgrade the sanding disk. So yes it can be done.
Another thing I did not get when I bought my used upgrade. :mad:
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

What is the advantage of the 520-style hub on a sanding disk? If there is any.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rlkeeney wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:42 pm What is the advantage of the 520-style hub on a sanding disk? If there is any.
You can put the disk through the table saw blade insert and use the lower saw guard for dust collection. It works very well. Of course you can also use the lower saw guard off the edge of the table also.

Russ please provide what you know about this. The early saw blade insert slots were not long enough to allow the sanding disk to be fully exposed. I seem to remember at one time SS sold a table insert just for the sanding disk that had a longer slot. Then they just lengthened the saw blade insert slot for the sanding disk and now there is only one insert. I have one here that I lengthened the slot. As I remember it was about 3/8".
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Robert,

There is an advantage to having the longer Hub on the Sanding Disk. It allows it to be used with the Lower Saw Blade Guard for dust collection. Without the longer Hub it rubs on the Headstock side of the Lower Saw Blade Guard. There is a stripped version (shown below) of the Lower Saw Blade Guard called the Model 500 Disc Sander Dust Chute P/N 555167 for use with the shorter hub and have Dust Collection. This does not work with the earlier cast Aluminum Sanding Disks. The Upper Guard mounting hardware is not there along with the springs and inner guard part.

_
555167 DustChute.jpg
555167 DustChute.jpg (6.15 KiB) Viewed 4283 times
John,

You are correct about the standard Saw Blade Table Insert and there having been a slightly different Sanding Disk one. Apparently, the Sanding Disk Table Insert is no longer available since the online catalog listing for it takes you to the Drum Sander Table Insert. The Saw Blade Table Insert opening at 12-1/2" is longer which accommodates not only a 10" Saw Blade but the mounting of the Upper Saw Blade Guard or a Riving Knife. The slot is narrower at 5/8" wide and has the narrower spot at the arbor center. The Sanding Disk Table Insert opening is 12-1/4" long by 3/4" wide.

John said,
I have one here that I lengthened the slot. As I remember it was about 3/8".
So here is the more important difference between the two Table Inserts. The opening on the Sanding Disk Table Insert starts closer (slightly less than 1/8") to the Infeed end of the Insert. This this gives slightly more clearance at the infeed end for the Sanding Disk than can be done with the Saw Blade Table Insert. The slot on the Saw Blade Table Insert is 3/8" closer to the outfeed end of the insert to allow for the mounting of the Upper Saw Blade Guard or a Riving Knife. I do not know if the Saw Blade Table Insert has been changed to give the extra clearance at the infeed end. Both of the Saw Blade Table Inserts I have are the same and came on my 2001 and 2006 Marks.

I do have a Sanding Disk Table Insert and will try to get a picture to post here.

EDIT: Below is the Saw Blade Table Insert on the left and the Sanding Disk Table Insert on the right

_
Saw - Sanding Disk Inserts.jpg
Saw - Sanding Disk Inserts.jpg (332.65 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Thank you!

It looks like I need the hub upgrade if I want to use the disk sander with dust collection. I have the insert with the long slot.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory