Shopsmith's new website is up....

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith's new website is up....

Post by RFGuy »

HopefulSSer wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:14 pm Clicking "smart motor" takes you to a page called "conventional smart motor service parts". To me "conventional smart motor" is an oxymoron. But I guess that's what Nick wants....
Well, when one doesn't understand the product they are selling this is what they get.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:19 pm
HopefulSSer wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:14 pm Clicking "smart motor" takes you to a page called "conventional smart motor service parts". To me "conventional smart motor" is an oxymoron. But I guess that's what Nick wants....
Well, when one doesn't understand the product they are selling this is what they get.
Or perhaps doesn't understand what a smart device is
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:35 am What I find disconcerting is no link to this forum.
There is a link to this forum. There is no link the other direction.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rogersk
Gold Member

Post by rogersk »

algale wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:04 pm Don't get cranky.
LOL. Like Curly used to say, "I'm tryin' to think, but nothin's happening."
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have looked around the new website a bit. It does appear to be a work in progress with areas still to be competed. I did have to look around to find the Forum now that it is linked under LEARNING. I guess we do learn from each other and so an appropriate place for it.

They are missing things as has already been described but I like the new parts drawings and lists format being on the same page and look forward to it being completed. Another thing I found is what appears to be an expanded list and now free to download PDF's of most of the guides and instructions under LEARNING - Resources - Manuals & Information besides being able to buy printed copies. Hopefully listings after "P" will be added soon.

I found the Shopsmith History page with new additions but am still sad to see the incorrect early history listings. It was Magna Engineering Corporation which introduced the Mark 5 in 1954 not Magna American which didn't exist until the 1960's after Yuba. You would think a company would want to have their history listed correctly on their own site.

We have waited quite a while for the new webpage and now that it is up and running, we should give Shopsmith a chance to tweak, add and adjust as needed to get it right. If Admin wants to set up some system for us to give input where we see problems with the new website, I would be happy to give my observations where I feel there could be improvement, corrections or additional information.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:07 pm We have waited quite a while for the new webpage and now that it is up and running, we should give Shopsmith a chance to tweak, add and adjust as needed to get it right. If Admin wants to set up some system for us to give input where we see problems with the new website, I would be happy to give my observations where I feel there could be improvement, corrections or additional information.
I hope someone takes not of this idea. They should set up a way to communicate suggestions for changes. That tool needs to distinguish basic corrections for spelling and specs that can be quickly updated on the website. They should find some broader editing and format suggestions useful but where there are questions of style we have to allow for a slower implementation process.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Has anyone tried to order. I did and I hit the wall. With items in the cart I was unable to complete the transaction. I am not registered.

In fact, is anyone registered on the new site?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:06 pm Has anyone tried to order. I did and I hit the wall. With items in the cart I was unable to complete the transaction. I am not registered.

In fact, is anyone registered on the new site?
I got an email today saying the new site was up and some sale items. Not sure if that means anything vis-a-vis the new site.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I can access the site and I can browse around the site. I see an awful lot that looks great BUT

when I go to My Account> Login nothing. A place to login but I can not. Has anyone successfully logged in with their previous user name and password.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:52 am I can access the site and I can browse around the site. I see an awful lot that looks great BUT

when I go to My Account> Login nothing. A place to login but I can not. Has anyone successfully logged in with their previous user name and password.
I don't think I had an 'account' before, in the typical meaning of the word. If I wanted 'order status,' for example, I entered the order number and either billing or shipping zip code, I don't recall which because I rarely used this as it lacked meaningful status information. If I ordered, I had to enter order information though I don't recall how much of it I had to enter each time. My only user name and PW for the shopsmith.com domain is for the forum, and I can confirm that it does not log me into 'my account' on the new site.

- David