Scrollsawing - need your opinions

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

FreddyK
Bronze Member

Scrollsawing - need your opinions

Post by FreddyK »

I have a SS bandsaw (really like it) that I purchased as a package option when I bought my Mark 7. I’ve done miscellaneous projects with it thus far. I’m getting kind of interested in more detailed crafting and am thinking a scroll saw might be a good option for me now.

In reviewing options there are many scroll saws on the market today. There’s the smaller table-type, and the larger more option-packed type you can mount on a stand with foot pedals. Of course more options comes with more price.

If you look at ShopSmiths website they still advertise their scroll saw but then in fine writing they indicate it’s no longer available. After doing some more digging (searching) on their website they do offer the Excalibur model with a SS stand and foot pedals for $985. I have not yet checked with SS to see if this offer is a reality or just old advertising that never got updated.

I’m interested the adjustable neck for quick and easy blade changes, dust collection, air hose, tilting blade, and around a 21” capacity. A stand would be great too.

Do you all have any suggestions or other brands you would recommend or not recommend? What’s a good price as well?

Thanks!
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Scrollsawing - need your opinions

Post by DLB »

Disclosure - I have a SS SPT mount scroll saw, so I'm no help in differentiating good from bad based on what's on the market.

The Excalibur is a relatively new offering from Shopsmith. I'm pretty sure it is actively available. If you want to know if they have any actual stock, I'd call customer service and ask. I don't recall anyone on the forum here reporting on the tool.

I know that DeWalt has a popular alternative. I looked at it briefly before coming across the used SS model, which was much less expensive in the used market. If you have a Woodcraft store nearby, this is something they at least used to stock and you could see and touch it on the floor.

I doubt Shopsmith's scroll saw will come back, but with new management it is at least possible.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:36 am The Excalibur is a relatively new offering from Shopsmith.
Apparently, Excalibur moved their manufacturing to China and there have been issues with them. See the thread at the link below. They had good manufacturing quality in Taiwan, but moved it to China. Competing brands are still made in Taiwan from what I understand.

viewtopic.php?p=303071#p303071
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I looked for a good scroll saw a couple of years ago. I found reviews of most scroll saws available on YouTube and on Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts website. I found the reviews by SDGood are some of the better ones as he does a lot of scroll saw work. I believe the top brand currently is Pegas but some other good options are King Industries, Jet, DeWalt, Rikon tilt blade and the Wen tilt blade. I believe the DeWalt is the only tilt table model that is currently in the top group. From my research the Excalibur had some quality issues when they moved production plants but not sure if those have been rectified. As far as price goes, the Wen tilt blade runs just over $360 or so on Amazon, and the rest range from that up to about $1000 depending on where you get them and if they are on sale. Also look for a used saw in your area. I saw some really good prices on Craiglist, Facebook Marketplace and ebay. There were several used scroll saws I would not have minded purchasing but were too far from me to go get them reasonably.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Like David I too only have experience with the Shopsmith SPT Mount Scroll Saw. Mine is the older Gray one. For me it works great and I have it on a Power Station. You could try the used market and spend less than buying one new of any brand. This would give you the chance to try one with less capital outlay. There is a risk in buying a used Scroll Saw as with any tool. Will there be replacement parts if or when needed. As I said I have the Gray Shopsmith SPT Mount Scroll Saw. It has parts that are different than the later Teal Shopsmith Scroll Saw and Shopsmith has only a few if any parts specific to the Gray Scroll Saw still available.

Some things to consider when looking for a Scroll Saw is what size of projects do you envision doing on a Scroll Saw. Table size would be a consideration if you are going to do larger (width and depth) projects. To have better support you would want a larger table. The Shopsmith Scroll Saw uses 5" plain end blades which are easy to find and a large selection of sizes/types. If there are Scroll Saws using other than the 5" plain end blades they may be harder to find or have less of a selection.

As you said,
I’m getting kind of interested in more detailed crafting and am thinking a scroll saw might be a good option for me now.
With that in mind don't get sidetracked and start looking at a Jig Saw. Jig Saws have their place in woodworking but for the detailed crafting you are looking at doing the Scroll Saw is the better choice.

Please let's not turn this thread into Scroll Saws vs. Jig Saws.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
FreddyK
Bronze Member

Post by FreddyK »

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions. Have given me something to think about!
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I recently acquired Teal Blue stand alone Shopsmith scroll saw. I haven't really used it yet. It came with a foot pedal and the has several new features. The improved table doesn't require an insert, it has a simpler blade replacement mechanism, and the blower is attached to the hold down foot. Scott Markwood recommends putting the saw on an anti-vibration mat and standing on the mat while using it. I had a Delta bench model, an old gray Shopsmith stand alone, and a Dremel bench version that was really a jig saw but none of them impressed me. I have high hopes for this one, hope my hopes aren't dashed when I start using it.

The new Excalibur model has an interesting feature, the entire scroll saw mechanism tilts for bevel cuts while the table remains horizontal. That's probably a good idea but it might throw me off for a while trying to keep the bevel in the right direction.

I think I prefer this stand-alone model over one mounted as an SPT or bench models, although a bench saw on an anti-vibration mat may be ok.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I highly recommend the Pegas Scroll saw.

I have owned four scroll saws, starting with an AMT cast iron saw that took pined blades. I quickly learned that pined blades would not do, and I modified the saw to use standard pinless blades. I used it for many years without an issue.

I then bought a used RBI Hawk and liked it much better. Not because it cut better but because it was much larger and easier to use. The RBI Hawk was my primary saw for several years.

Then, I stumbled across a video demonstrating how easy and fast blade changes were on Excalibur EX-21. It took a whine, but I found a made-in-Taiwan saw used in my local area. The EX-21 became my go-to saw, and I gave the AMT to a friend. You can get parts and support for EX-21s from Seyco, who also makes a fine scroll saw. I had a problem with my EX-21 and got all my support and parts from them. Made in Taiwan, EX-21s are completely rebuildable.

Switching from the EX-21 to the Hawk gave me fits. They cut so differently that switching was a pain. Blade changes on the Hawk could have been faster and smoother. After much research, I decided to buy a Pegas scroll saw. I have a small business that relies heavily on my scroll saw, and I need a backup saw that works and is similar to my primary saw, so switching between the two is not a big deal. As I was about to pull the trigger on a new Pegas, I saw a used one pop up in the Facebook marketplace. It turned out to be a saw that was bought assembled and never used, being sold for half what a new one would cost. I made a 500-mile road trip to get it.

I sold the RBI Hawk and now have an EX-21 and Pegas saws in my shop next to each other. There is very little difference in the saws. Switching back and forth is fine. The Pegas is a bit smoother.

What you want to do with your scroll saw will drive your choice. For me, blade changes are a big deal. Some scroll saw projects will have hundreds of initial cuts, requiring you to disconnect one end of the blade and insert it into the next hole. EX-21/Pegas saws can do this with a knob twist and a lever flip. When these saws are appropriately aligned, there is no tension adjustment. There are no loose clamps to fiddle with or chase around the floor when a blade breaks.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Robert makes a good point about blade changes in his post above. The simpler it is to change the blade the better. Every time you have to start in a new hole you have to disconnect the blade, move it to the new hole and re-connect it. Both of the Gray Shopsmith Scroll Saws I have owned (the 2nd was restored and resold) came with Blade Blocks used to mount the blades. Both of the Gray Scroll Saws I have/had where later ones after the Table changed. The Teal Shopsmith Scroll Saw had direct mounting eliminating the need for the previous gray models mounting blocks and with the simpler blade mounting it no longer needed the table insert. I did change my Gray Scroll Saw to the later Teal Scroll Saw blade mounting with an upgrade that had been available in the past. It only took me doing one project to realize that was a very good upgrade.

Simply said if you decide to go with a Shopsmith Scroll Saw and have a choice between the Gray or Teal Scroll Saw go with the Teal. When considering other brands of Scroll Saws look at how the blades are changed/mounted.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
FreddyK
Bronze Member

Post by FreddyK »

I ended up purchasing the Jet 22” scroll saw with foot pedal and table. Got through Woodcraft in a Black Friday sale for 20% off.
It’s really nice. Couldn’t be happier!

https://jettools.com/jwss-22b-22-scroll ... oot-switch