Bandsaw blade advice.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chasboy1
Gold Member

Bandsaw blade advice.

Post by Chasboy1 »

Hi Folks, I was wondering what the group would recommend for a band saw blade. The original broke and I am primarily interested in one that can cut comfortably thru a 1.5” piece of cherry that is going to be my next guitar body, and my first from scratch! There will be a few tight cuts but I’m very familiar with relief cuts.
I’m open to source, tooth count and width.
thank you all!
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw blade advice.

Post by edma194 »

I've been using Timberwolf blades from Suffolk Machinery for larger blades, based on recommendations here on the forum. For 1/8" blades I had a couple of 18TPI SuperCut blades that were working well for me and I recently tried the Timberwolf 14TPI version that compared favorably. You probably want to rough out the shape using larger blades then get as close as you can with a 1/8" blade. You would be well served by the Shopsmith Strip Sander and sanding drums for finishing.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

100% on the Timberwilf blades. In the past it was cheaper to buy them direct from Suffolk Machinery. I haven't bought in a while so not sure if that is still true. Also their customer service is great. Give them a call and they can recommend the blades for your application.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Every blade I've tried works well on my bandsaw. I've used Shopsmith blades and Olson blades, as well as some other brands. If you plan to cut 1.5" material, I suggest getting a 1/2" blade. the wider blades tend to cut straighter and have larger teeth for heavier jobs.