Shopsmith's new website is up....

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith's new website is up....

Post by algale »

It's a work in progress but so far I don't see the new website as an improvement.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:45 am It's a work in progress but so far I don't see the new website as an improvement.
Improvement...maybe NO. If they had spent the same amount of time and money "updating" the old site we would all be better off.

Maybe I jusr don't know the real objective of the new site nut I do know that it is not filling in the blanks or adding much new data.

What I do see is an exhausting effort to push the power pro. It has become an advertising effort and little more.

So far the FB site is pretty much the same.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dusty wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:11 am So far the FB site is pretty much the same.
I know you mean the official Shopsmith FB page, but if I may digress, I recently joined a couple of the Shopsmith owners/users groups over on FB and, good gravy, the advice given there is by and large of very low quality compared to this forum.

Just one example: a guy commented that it is "impossible" to make "miter" cuts (he meant cross-cut a bevel on the end of a board or rip a bevel on the edge of a board) "safely" with the tilted table.

We all know the titled table is an acquired taste (that some never acquire) and that ripping or cross-cutting bevels on a tilted table requires a bit more planning and caution than on a tilting arbor saw; but "impossible" to use safely? My ten fingers, veterans of numerous cuts made with the tilted table, wish to disagree. I tried to offer some suggestions, but it just gets lost in a deluge of mostly bad advice.

Although it isn't as active as it once was, this forum remains a gem!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:25 pm
dusty wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:11 am So far the FB site is pretty much the same.
I know you mean the official Shopsmith FB page, but if I may digress, I recently joined a couple of the Shopsmith owners/users groups over on FB and, good gravy, the advice given there is by and large of very low quality compared to this forum.

Just one example: a guy commented that it is "impossible" to make "miter" cuts (he meant cross-cut a bevel on the end of a board or rip a bevel on the edge of a board) "safely" with the tilted table.

We all know the titled table is an acquired taste (that some never acquire) and that ripping or cross-cutting bevels on a tilted table requires a bit more planning and caution than on a tilting arbor saw; but "impossible" to use safely? My ten fingers, veterans of numerous cuts made with the tilted table, wish to disagree. I tried to offer some suggestions, but it just gets lost in a deluge of mostly bad advice.

Although it isn't as active as it once was, this forum remains a gem!
I agree and so far I have refrained from online debate.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If NON intern folks were assigned to what has been described here as intern work, they would gain a greater appreciation for interns.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shopsmithguru
Bronze Member

Post by shopsmithguru »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:19 pm
HopefulSSer wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:14 pm Clicking "smart motor" takes you to a page called "conventional smart motor service parts". To me "conventional smart motor" is an oxymoron. But I guess that's what Nick wants....
Well, when one doesn't understand the product they are selling this is what they get.
Speaking as someone who run a software company that develop websites for buisness of all type, it is clear that the new website was rushed.
It is not ready for what we call a production site. This is at best a development website and should have not been realesed. The other thing that
I have noticed is a part that I have purchase in the october has gone up in price from $26.95 to $34.95. Has anyone notice the price increase on
parts?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Noticed the planer dust chute is currently about $75 that I paid about $35 a while(year or three) go.

BIG BAD WHOOPS!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

What I got for about $35 was the chute upgrade ONLY. Price is still the same.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Isn't this what we all predicted under new ownership?

price increases
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

shopsmithguru wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:16 pm
RFGuy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:19 pm
HopefulSSer wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:14 pm Clicking "smart motor" takes you to a page called "conventional smart motor service parts". To me "conventional smart motor" is an oxymoron. But I guess that's what Nick wants....
Well, when one doesn't understand the product they are selling this is what they get.
Speaking as someone who run a software company that develop websites for buisness of all type, it is clear that the new website was rushed.
It is not ready for what we call a production site. This is at best a development website and should have not been realesed. The other thing that
I have noticed is a part that I have purchase in the october has gone up in price from $26.95 to $34.95. Has anyone notice the price increase on
parts?
Please - if you are inclined to declare that have been "price increases (as a result of new ownership)" give us specific current examples. In the economy these days it is quite normal for prices to increase over time. It is called "inflation".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:07 am Please - if you are inclined to declare that have been "price increases (as a result of new ownership)" give us specific current examples. In the economy these days it is quite normal for prices to increase over time. It is called "inflation".
Scanning through some 'order history' I see some examples. I don't pretend to know the cause. And I notice that sometimes history reflects a reduced (sale) price and sometimes it reflects normal price even if that's not what I paid, so I can't necessarily tell if the price I give was list price at the time.

On 7/1/2022 I bought a jointer knife set for $34.99, current price is $64.99. Same order a belt sander backup plate (platen) was $20.78, now $36.95. A PP Idler Shaft I bought last month was $38.29, now $46.95. I also see examples of unchanged prices.

- David