Rustic cherry bowl

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Rustic cherry bowl

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:55 pm Another example of how the Shopsmith can be used in less common ways to solve a problem in completing a task.
Yup. With a Shopsmith, you can fixture just about anything, to anything else. And if you can’t, you can use it to make the necessary fixture!
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Beautiful bowl! I must confess I'm not seeing a dog though...
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Agree, beautiful work!

If picture is rotated, is this the dog we should be seeing? Possibly a bulldog?
Attachments
Tucker LowRes Rotated.jpg
Tucker LowRes Rotated.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 15835 times
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Dennis,

Beautiful work! Thanks for reminding us of what can be created on Shopsmith equipment. I still haven't gotten up the nerve to try a bowl that large yet as I continue to hover around the 8" diameter range until my skills improve more. Also found the branding iron suggestion really useful. I don't have one yet, but if I get one someday it is a great way for branding items like bowl bottoms. Kudos. Thanks.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Aha! I wondered why no one had mentioned the dog face. I guess you just had to know old Tucker in order to see him in the bowl.

Tucker face.JPG
Tucker face.JPG (129.86 KiB) Viewed 15807 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:02 am Dennis,

Beautiful work! Thanks for reminding us of what can be created on Shopsmith equipment. I still haven't gotten up the nerve to try a bowl that large yet as I continue to hover around the 8" diameter range until my skills improve more. Also found the branding iron suggestion really useful. I don't have one yet, but if I get one someday it is a great way for branding items like bowl bottoms. Kudos. Thanks.
Thanks RFGuy! This bowl came in at about 10-1/2", and it really whetted my appetite for an 800 lb. bowl lathe. My 520 has plenty of power and turning capacity, but is awfully lightweight for big bowls, even with the Universal Tool Rest mounted. I had to keep the cuts very light in order to avoid exciting resonances. In the near term, unfortunately, sandbags are much more likely to fit in my budget and in my workshop!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Eyes??? I thought those were ears!

Blaze??? I thought those were jowls!

Nose??? I thought that was his butt!

:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I thought the eyes were ears, too! But now I see it and can't unsee it!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:26 pm Eyes??? I thought those were ears!

Blaze??? I thought those were jowls!

Nose??? I thought that was his butt!

:D
From that perspective, it looks kinda like the south end of a pregnant northbound doe!
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Absolutely gorgeous bowl. I have a cherry crotch that I want to turn some day.

In the mean time, if this is not a hijack of the thread, maybe the turning experts could explain to me the problem with bowl gouges I keep hearing about. Not having done any real bowl work I don't understand why gouges would catch so often, unless it's just that any chisel would in hard woods like cherry.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER