Hoping to clear up a misperception

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Would you like RFGuy to continue to be an active member of this forum?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 26

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Hoping to clear up a misperception

Post by RFGuy »

ALL,

I appreciate the kind words. I want everyone to know that I have great respect for this forum and its many wonderful contributors over the years. Perhaps my mind is too different, but I saw tremendous value in this forum as a kind of living history of the Shopsmith community. I only came to learn of this forum a few short years ago even though I have been a woodworker on Shopsmith tools for over 3 decades having started as a teen. Often I would stumble on a past thread or one of you would link to one of them and I was amazed at the care and thought that went into the responses. There is a wealth of information embedded in these past threads. Just one example is the thread discussing different hacks/mods many have made on the Mark V lower saw guard. There were many great trial and error perturbations that led to some really interesting "fixes" for the poor dust collection capability of the lower saw guard. It was really helpful for me to address a nagging issue of my own 520 in my shop. This is just one example and there are more, but I see value in the entire forum over all time. So, it greatly disheartened me recently when Shopsmith, in their infinite wisdom, chose to a) break links between past forum threads and the main website and b) change how new members can link to the Shopsmith forum from the main website. Maybe a third of the reason that I chose to self-exile from the forum recently was due to the collective recent Shopsmith changes and these negatives as they impact this forum and the ability for new forum members to derive use out of past threads. I wonder have all of the older threads become pointless now??? Some of you may be on newer social media like FB, IG, YT, TikTok, etc. and have grown accustomed to the short attention span mindset and limited timeline available on these platforms. It can be really hard to search old posts, for example, on the FB Shopsmith groups and the format tends to be short form, unlike my common long form answers here. Everything is geared towards being in the present moment and it is like there is no past on these types of media. It has its place for some people for certain communications, but it is not adept at fully helping people as I perceive the forum has done for decades. So, when a new owner doesn't understand the company, its products or its community and breaks what has been built it causes a visceral response. Those of you who get all of the above, I applaud you. Those who don't, there aren't enough words for me to eloquate this to you.

Now, I must apologize again because I didn't attempt to fully explain before the how and why of my departure. In doing so, I may have caused offense to some of you that I have great respect for. I truly apologize for this. I too love Shopsmith, not just my tools, but the company. I try to be balanced in my responses and sometimes I come off as too negative. I like to point out where my Shopsmith tools excel for me in my shop and I readily admit we all have different projects, shops and workstyles so what annoys me about the tool may not annoy others. Some of you love Shopsmith as well and you see some of the same faults that I do in the tools and acknowledge them. In sometimes raising these faults, I hope that one day the company might address them on new tool versions. Perfect example is we now have a Gen 2 PP. Who thought that would ever happen, right? ;) However I want a constructive dialogue and recognize a few rare times I have crossed over into complaining for complaining sake. For the latter, please forgive me as it was not my intent. :o A very few of you, like to hold up Shopsmith as this perfect company and tool that has no flaws who I have accurately labeled as Shopsmith fanboys. Not going to name names, but you know who you are. Anyone who brings a well reasoned, thoughtful and respectful response with one of my posts, I will do my best to absorb the information and try to bring the same level of response in return because I have deep respect for you. I may need more words to try to fully elaborate what I want to say, so please forgive my verbosity, but I do so in order to attempt to give clarity to my thoughts and feelings on all things Shopsmith and woodworking. Remember there is no contextual information available as this is a print medium, i.e. you can't see facial cues or sense emotion on social media. For the active posters on this forum, I think most of you understand my humor and tolerate it. :) Having shared many conversations over a few years, there is a connection between us such that you hopefully understand what I am saying most of the time, though you may not agree with me (and that is expected and accepted). Recently I tried to make light of a stressful time and situation with a new owner assuming command of the mothership. I know I pushed my humor too far, but there was also sincere warmth and affection in my portrayal of the new owner as I stated I wished him and the new company the best. I want them both to succeed. You know, you can have a conversation and make a statement and it can have multiple meanings - it doesn't have to be singular. I love word play and puns, but without more contextual clues available to all of you, it gets lost in translation. Mocking was not my intent. I apologize for this misperception if I created it. Should I continue to contribute on the forum, I will likely curtail this as it is too exhausting for me to explain to everyone exactly what I mean when I have already poured out so many words spelling everything out to begin with. While I am a fast typist and creating posts like this are effortless for me, it still requires energy and I can choose where I devote my energies.

P.S. IF the general consensus is that the forum wants me to continue to contribute, I will do my best to try to contribute in a meaningful way while I am still here. The technology and machinery on this planet have been an interesting distraction for me while I have been sharing this planet with you. Many here like to joke about Shopsmith being the "mothership" and this particular humor is apropos. My ride back home will be here shortly, so I will continue to participate on the forum while I am here, but one day soon it will stop as I need to return to my home planet. :cool: Some will perceive this as humor, but you will just have to wait and see that I am serious. Take care and please enjoy whatever tools you have in your shop.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sheese, now he claims to be an alien? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:40 am Sheese, now he claims to be an alien? :D
WOW! Someone read my post all the way to the end! :D Perhaps I should give a prize for you finding my embedded Easter egg in that post!

Not a term I prefer, but technically everyone on Earth came from somewhere else...you just don't realize you were re-homed temporarily. Some of us came from much farther away to help this galaxy. I could explain more, but I am not a fan of spoilers so going to stop there. You will just have to wait. :cool:
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:49 am Not a term I prefer, but technically everyone on Earth came from somewhere else...you just don't realize you were re-homed temporarily. Some of us came from much farther away to help this galaxy. I could explain more, but I am not a fan of spoilers so going to stop there. You will just have to wait. :cool:
I'm incredibly jealous. My home planet exploded so I'll never see it again. My father sent me and my brother out in separate space ships just before it blew up and we both crash landed here on earth. However, my brother landed on some old farmer's property in Kansas and he's been getting all the attention since then. He really gets on my nerves so we decided to fight out our differences and made a bet that the loser would have to wear his underpants on the outside after that. I got the better of him that day.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I am happy to see our friend RFGuy has decided to continue to be an active member here. We all have different points of view when it comes to woodworking and even everything in life for that matter. We all have different experience levels in woodworking and their tools. It is these differing points of view and experience that can help others who ask questions here on the Forum. What works for me may not work for the Original Poster but getting multiple points of view on a subject may lead them to something that does work for them. When describing how to fix something my explanation may not make sense but someone else may describe it differently that the person asking understands. I have heard Mike Young say on several occasions that the Shopsmith has more written about it than any other tool made and this forum is part of that legacy. Let's all work together to keep that going.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

So you guys all had interstellar technology in hand and decided on Shopsmith? I'm not buying it.

b
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

bainin wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:42 pm So you guys all had interstellar technology in hand and decided on Shopsmith? I'm not buying it.

b
It's called incognito... :D
📶RF Guy

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

bainin wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:42 pm So you guys all had interstellar technology in hand and decided on Shopsmith? I'm not buying it.

b
Have you seen a better multi-purpose woodworking tool on any Star Trek show? Scotty probably had one in the in the Enterprise fabrication shop.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Oh sorry, I thought you hadn't got around to inventing wood on your planets :)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

bainin wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:32 pm Oh sorry, I thought you hadn't got around to inventing wood on your planets :)
Honestly, it has been refreshing to get to craft/build using my hands and learning woodworking here on this planet. Have been busy fighting an intergalactic war for way too long but it is almost over now. Like I said I needed the distraction of woodworking and this forum in recent years.
📶RF Guy