Shopsmith's new website is up....

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith's new website is up....

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:39 pm
algale wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:43 pm I assumed the 25X sales increase target meant 25X more sales not the same number of sales at 25X the price.
+1

Econ 102 increasing price too much results in lower total revenue.
I agree. I didn't say it wouldn't have a negative effect on the market dynamics. I would argue this has been their default mode on other products for years, e.g. PP is a prime example. Just now, elevated prices are started to be noticed by more of their customers as repair parts get priced up.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:39 pm
algale wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:43 pm
RFGuy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:59 am
Did you forget about the 25X sales increase target comment from the interview? ;) One way to increase revenue is to raise prices. Econ 101.
I assumed the 25X sales increase target meant 25X more sales not the same number of sales at 25X the price.
+1

Econ 102 increasing price too much results in lower total revenue.
It could be a combination. 10X more sales at 2.5X the price.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

As I remember Econ 101..in the market place increasing price drives sales down; drive sales down far enough and you kill the business.

I believe that is what we have been watching for the last few years.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Inflation was suggested as a potential cause of recent Shopsmith price increases. I think we can all agree that to a first order, inflation is not the reason Shopsmith has raised prices, at least not by the significant increases being reported here on this thread. In the first graph below you can see that inflation (rate) has almost returned to normal of around 3%. What is surprising is that pricing (2nd graph) has NOT come back down at all. This means that even though inflation has normalized, many manufacturers continue to gauge consumers on pricing, i.e. prices are overly elevated right now. It has been this way for about 2.5 years now. IF there are any economics experts on the forum, perhaps you can explain this to me; when will prices normalize? Post pandemic some companies are reporting record profits, so is it price gauging or shrew business maneuvers, excessive high customer demand, etc.? Is it the significant increase in minimum wage in many states in recent years putting upward pressure on prices? Is it pandemic related garbage putting pressure/strain on companies still? Is it supply chain contraction resulting from decoupling from Chinese manufacturing? Is it supply chain related due to wars (Ukraine-Russia, Israel-Hamas)? Is there still excessive consumer demand driven by access to free money (pandemic stimulus)? Anyone want to take a shot at answering this for me because I would really like to understand better why some prices are still elevated significantly from where they really should be? On average they are now 20% higher than where the "normal" market was 2-3 years ago. Assuming Shopsmith tracks the market average, I could accept that their prices are now 20% higher than where they were 3 years ago, but we are seeing some parts 85% higher now which seems like price gauging - perhaps the part is manufactured by one of Shopsmith's suppliers and Shopsmith is only passing on this increase, but it would still be good to understand where these price increases are coming from.

Inflation Rate (CPI Year-Over-Year):
InflationRate_2020_2023.jpg
InflationRate_2020_2023.jpg (92.54 KiB) Viewed 206925 times
CPI (Consumer Price Index):
CPI_2020_2023.jpg
CPI_2020_2023.jpg (71.5 KiB) Viewed 206925 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Inflation means prices going up. If they're rising at rate X and the rate goes down to Y, that just means that at Y prices aren't increasing as fast as they were at X. They're still going up. If the inflation rate falls to zero, that means prices stop rising and remain level. If they start going down, that's called deflation (and sometimes it can be a very bad thing).

And I would say yes, it's price gouging if a company's profits increase. If the company was solely adjusting prices to compensate for inflation then while prices would go up, profits would remain level. If the profit increase is slight then "gouging" might be too strong a word, but it's disingenuous of a company to say "we're only raising prices to cover inflation" while their profits increase on the same sales volumes.

As for SS specifically, might it be the case that some items were significantly under-priced previously and now they're more in line with what they should be? Just making up numbers here, but if a part previously was selling for, say, only a 5% markup, raising it to a more sustainable, say, 30% markup would mean a big jump.

There are a lot of factors in play here.... and only the folks at SS even know what they all are.
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

My feeling is that the price of an initial Mark whatever machine has to become more affordable so that the parts and accessory sales at any price will sustain the company. Without new customers increasing sales across the board simply raising the prices of everything else will have a regressive effect. Inflation is a general factor in increasing costs to the company but the prices of items are already disproportionally high reflecting much more than costs of the parts. Just my opinion on the subject.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:28 am My feeling is that the price of an initial Mark whatever machine has to become more affordable so that the parts and accessory sales at any price will sustain the company. Without new customers increasing sales across the board simply raising the prices of everything else will have a regressive effect. Inflation is a general factor in increasing costs to the company but the prices of items are already disproportionally high reflecting much more than costs of the parts. Just my opinion on the subject.
Ed,

Thanks. Yeah, I agree with you. I was just playing devil's advocate to perhaps dive a little deeper into the macroeconomics going on out there that "might" justify ANY price increase by the mothership. Given the recent price increases by the company, it seems like price gouging to me - unclear if the beneficiary of this is the mothership or their suppliers.
📶RF Guy

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:31 am Ed,

Thanks. Yeah, I agree with you. I was just playing devil's advocate to perhaps dive a little deeper into the macroeconomics going on out there that "might" justify ANY price increase by the mothership. Given the recent price increases by the company, it seems like price gouging to me - unclear if the beneficiary of this is the mothership or their suppliers.
I wouldn't call it 'gouging'. It's not like there is a sudden increase in demand. Early in my career I worked for a company that was saved from bankruptcy by hiring a managing executive who started a new policy where products had to be sold for more money than they cost to make. It's a foundational concept in business, but not so simple as it seems.

Without demand for a product it doesn't matter what the price is, a company needs sales and for many businesses discount prices are needed to drive demand. For some companies 'loss leader' sales will spur further sales, but this is more like the ink-jet printer model where low entry prices on the printers create sales of ink at high prices. This is further complicated by the availability of parts from other sources such as bandsaw blades.

I used to by Shopsmith brand bandsaw blades because I knew they would be the right size. Now I can find alternatives online, get them delivered for free if they're available on Amazon, and return them without great problems if necessary. I believe Shopsmith has to make their consumable parts more competitive in price or stop providing them. And there are plenty of more complicated considerations.

Again, this is just a personal opinion, but I think Shopsmith ought to do everything possible to drive down the initial price of Mark 7|5|4xx{S} machines to gain new customers for the future.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:49 am Without demand for a product it doesn't matter what the price is, a company needs sales and for many businesses discount prices are needed to drive demand. For some companies 'loss leader' sales will spur further sales, but this is more like the ink-jet printer model where low entry prices on the printers create sales of ink at high prices. This is further complicated by the availability of parts from other sources such as bandsaw blades.
Perhaps Shopsmith tools are the ink-jet printer of the woodworking tool world. They see replacement/repair parts as equivalent to ink unfortunately. :(

P.S. They just forgot that the "printer", aka Mark 5/7/PP headstock, are supposed to be sold for less than material costs to entice customers to purchase. :D
📶RF Guy

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I see SS's major problem is they are not really in manufacturing, but rather in assembly of externally procured parts. i.e. suppliers are already reaping potential profit.

Trouble is their market is too small for major investment of capital tooling etc.

Maybe Nick needs to visit woodpeckers(think blue spruce). ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange