US Government is About to Change Table Saws FOREVER!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: US Government is About to Change Table Saws FOREVER!

Post by DLB »

twistsol wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:57 pm Sawstop did say they would license necessary patents on FRAND basis if the rule were to pass.
Can you provide a reference for that one? There are several comments in the proposed rule document that seem to conflict with it. Perhaps the offer was made in or near 2003 when SawStop petitioned for the rule. In which case it may not still be on the table.(?) There are plenty of comments/concerns in the document where I would think CPSC would have provided this answer, if they believed it to be true.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That would be consistent with what was their alleged initial intent back then.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:41 pm US patents expire 20 years (or less, in certain cases) after their application date (not issuance date). Should SawStop's original patents not be expired by now? No doubt they have others, but those would almost certainly contain claims related to secondary/detail issues, which cannot extend the protection period for the claims in the original patents.
Right you are Dennis. I don't think that it is a coincidence that the CPSC delayed 20 years before contemplating moving forward on this. Guessing the patents are or will be expired.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Their original patents are, but I'm sure there are more that are not expiring and which they will no doubt seek to enforce
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

DLB wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:17 pm
twistsol wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:57 pm Sawstop did say they would license necessary patents on FRAND basis if the rule were to pass.
Can you provide a reference for that one? There are several comments in the proposed rule document that seem to conflict with it. Perhaps the offer was made in or near 2003 when SawStop petitioned for the rule. In which case it may not still be on the table.(?) There are plenty of comments/concerns in the document where I would think CPSC would have provided this answer, if they believed it to be true.

- David
The comment was in an email from 2019 - the previous attempt by CPSC to push forward a rule. The last sentence in the second paragraph basically says they'll look into putting together a licensing package should the CPSC actually move forward with a rule.
Attachments
CPSC-2011-0074-1350_content.pdf
(180.27 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think S. Gass's attempts to cover the world patentwise has made this much more difficult.

Wish I knew more about the two patents that Bosch was infringing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

RFGuy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:27 am
thedovetailjoint wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:06 am
RFGuy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:10 pm Sounds like an urban myth to me!!!
That's what happened.
Scott,

Okay, I'll play along. Where are the pics of the flipped over Mark V? Any other details for how this happened, i.e. what was being tested specifically? Up above, you can see where I posted a video of the Bosch Reaxx (small, light portable contractor TS) when it had a trigger event causing the cartridge to activate and stopping the blade. Also, SawStop has smaller footprint saws of the contractor TS variety now as well. IF a light saw like this can stop a blade without flipping over, what was so different about this special test at Shopsmith that caused a beefy Mark V to tip over when these other saws do NOT? Hopefully those of you with critical thinking skills can understand my reasoning for calling this out. IF what you say happened was real, then they were doing something far different than just trying to slow/stop a sawblade on that Mark V. Now, if a 10 ft. long steel bar was attached to the sawblade in an attempt to stop it, then yes, I would believe it flipped the Mark V over during this Friday afternoon of fun at Shopsmith HQ. ;)

BOSCH REAXX VIDEO:
viewtopic.php?p=313611#p313611
I wish I had the evidence you request.
http://www.Youtube.com/user/MyGrowthRings
http://Shopsmith-Tool-Hunter.Blogspot.com
http://www.Tool-Hunter.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am guessing the entire drive train was 'stopped' rather than just the blade.

After all the SS IS top heavy compared to a typical saw.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

thedovetailjoint wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:41 pm I wish I had the evidence you request.
Scott,

It isn't so much about providing "evidence" as details matter. Are there any other details you can remember about what was being done to this poor, defenseless Mark V to cause it to flip over in Shopsmith HQ during this test? This started off as someone sharing your anecdote here on the forum and I jokingly referred to it as an urban myth because I find it hard to believe. Then several forum members attacked me indicating that I don't understand science...if only that were true. :rolleyes: Are there any other details you can share from this story that might help a skeptic like me to believe this floor kiss test that Shopsmith engineered? In the proverbial words of Fox Mulder, "I want to believe". :D
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Rethink this as not blade stoppage, but as power train stoppage.

That introduces far greater angular momentum.

Is that greater than the torque required to tip it over?

I am curious WHAT was being used to create a near step function in deceleration.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝