Three-leg high chair / stool

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Three-leg high chair / stool

Post by nuhobby »

In progress!

Generally I'm following a plan from Christopher Schwarz's "Anarchist's Design Book", but altering things a bit.
For joinery holes in the legs and rungs, he uses a super-long bit and a steady hand-held electric drill. I, of course, prefer using the Shopsmith's inherent jigging capabilities.

IMG_7020.jpeg
IMG_7020.jpeg (277.62 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
IMG_7021.jpeg
IMG_7021.jpeg (331.5 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
IMG_7024.jpeg
IMG_7024.jpeg (126.84 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
IMG_7041.jpeg
IMG_7041.jpeg (352.71 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

More to follow...
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Three-leg high chair / stool

Post by JPG »

I guess a wixey type thingie came in handy?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Actually, I used the world's best friction-pivot bevel gauge. That is, the vintage 2007 MITE-R-GAGE that I bought from Shopsmith back in the day :) :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Close enough! :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

And we're pretty much done, letting the oils and waxes air out a bit.

Here was the top-layer getting glued on, and the whole thing being checked for height. The clamps weighed more than the stool!

IMG_7044.jpeg
IMG_7044.jpeg (300.48 KiB) Viewed 828 times

Here's a closeup of a rung-tenon all wedged and glued. Most satisfyingly, when these were later sawed closer to flush, the wedge glue job was 100% intact. The babies were tight!

IMG_7045.jpeg
IMG_7045.jpeg (194.85 KiB) Viewed 828 times

Here's a bit of paint and oil and wax adding flavor:

IMG_7049.jpeg
IMG_7049.jpeg (363.32 KiB) Viewed 828 times

Happy Woodworking!
Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Turn it around and you have a tv tray with knee space. :D

Seriously good job!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Very nice.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I love the understructure — that’s a nice design and some fine craftsmanship.

Making one of these has been on my bucket list for a while, and my workshop is currently stool-less. But my scrawny butt craves a carved seat bottom. The closer to a tractor seat, the better. Perhaps Roy Underhill would loan me his vintage scorp. :rolleyes:

Or failing that, there’s a clever radial arm saw trick. It’s kind of like milling a cove molding by running a board diagonally over a table saw blade, going progressively deeper with each pass. Except that for the RAS chair-seat trick, you machine the scallops in the seat by unlocking the yoke with the machine powered up, and rotating the whole motor/blade assembly about the vertical axis while the saw blade mills sideways through the wood in an arc. This is a potentially lethal technique, however, as Stumpy Nubs would likely die of a heart attack if he ever witnessed it!
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

We'll see how it works out for comfort :)

One thing not so easy to see in the pictures, is that the seat does tilt back a tad (per the design). I think that does add a bit of comfort.

If not, then "Mark 2" could come to enhance things :cool:
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Really like the design and the execution! Nice job!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!