Making a Lie-Nielsen Plane From Start to Finish

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Making a Lie-Nielsen Plane From Start to Finish

Post by Ed in Tampa »

edma194 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:21 am
nuhobby wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:55 am The points about scrap-parts etc. remind me: My Dad many years ago had dealings with a gent in Mt. Carmel, Illinois, which in those days had a Snap-On Tools foundry. This gent's job including taking any defective wrenches to a site where they were buried in concrete!
Wouldn't a foundry just melt down the defective parts? I understand a lot of stuff would get buried like those Atari games RFGuy mentioned, but it's not like they could be easily re-used. Although maybe there was a tiny bit of gold on in the components, but they really wanted those awful games to go away.
My thoughts exactly! Why bother putting them in concrete and finding a place to stash the concrete much easier throw back into furnace. I suspect there is something we are missing in that story. But I do understand the need to totally destroy the tools. If not I am sure some enterprising con artist would attempt to sell the defective tools. Some rube would then buy the tool discover it is defective and thus label all snap on tools as junk. The story would be told of the junk tool and before long everyone would label snap on as a maker of junk.

As for games getting pitched with the possibility of containing gold is another urban legend. All manufactures that use gold have a recovery for the gold on defective products. Gold is easy to recover when you know it is there.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:10 am
As for games getting pitched with the possibility of containing gold is another urban legend. All manufactures that use gold have a recovery for the gold on defective products. Gold is easy to recover when you know it is there.
The story I heard was that working games were buried in the desert. I have no idea what the actual facts are.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

At least one example, was the Atari E.T. video game cartridge that was buried in a landfill in the New Mexico desert. This really happened (link below). I don't know why a tool manufacturer would go to the trouble of pouring expensive concrete to render tools inoperable, but I could see it as possible. Here's the thing, if it is for reporting it as a loss on taxes, then it can't be recoverable into a new product. Putting it back into the foundry to re-melt would mean you couldn't write if off, or not the full amount. If the story of broken wrenches poured into concrete is true, I was just trying to give one possible explanation...as improbable as it might be.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/video-game ... 08-n418971
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:48 am Here's the thing, if it is for reporting it as a loss on taxes, then it can't be recoverable into a new product. Putting it back into the foundry to re-melt would mean you couldn't write if off, or not the full amount. If the story of broken wrenches poured into concrete is true, I was just trying to give one possible explanation...as improbable as it might be.
That is a plausible explanation. At the time the steel in those tools might not have been worth much compared to the value of the finished tool that was written off.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Sounds like a great way to reinforce concrete!
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:04 pm Sounds like a great way to reinforce concrete!
Much greater structural integrity than Jimmy Hoffa's body.
Ed from Rhode Island