US Government is About to Change Table Saws FOREVER!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DarrenDD
Gold Member

Re: US Government is About to Change Table Saws FOREVER!

Post by DarrenDD »

+1,000
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am surprised no one here has mentioned that SS has a far greater percentage of it's business involving table saw function.

Regardless I do not follow the 'thinking' that thinks that detail has any relevance. (ooh you won't be put out of business since 90% of your business is not affected) [BS]
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If the guvmnt wants to reduce table saw accidents they will gain more success by outlawing
push sticks.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BTW this forum is called "Community" and is defined as relevant to any discussion about anything so any subject is appropriate other than the obvious non socially acceptable.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:49 pm OK...I'll bite. Care to spell out exactly which content is not appropriate on this thread and how it is responsible for a decline in readership on this forum? This thread started to discuss the potential for the CPSC to change tablesaws forever in this country. Doesn't Shopsmith manufacture a tablesaw? Couldn't this ruling potentially impact all Shopsmith owners as well as Shopsmith as a company? Shouldn't woodworking injuries, and avoiding them, be a priority for all Shopsmith owners? Or is it that you object to the patent related discussion? Perhaps you think ONLY Shopsmith topics should be covered here and there is NO room to discuss, compare, contrast competing manufacturers so you object to any mention of other brands like SawStop? As a relatively new forum member here, I continue to be befuddled by the obtuseness present on this forum at times. Can you list the Shopsmith forum rules,the unwritten ones, so that those of us that painted outside of the lines on this thread can attempt to comply?

P.S. It has been my understanding that forum readership, if it is in decline, has been due to members leaving for other platforms such as FB which has a few Shopsmith groups. Now, Scott has a new forum pertaining to Shopsmith on his new website as well that could impact readership on this Shopsmith forum.
You are right on. Membership is moving away...looking for Shopsmith related discussions.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:24 pm I am surprised no one here has mentioned that SS has a far greater percentage of it's business involving table saw function.

I think this was captured in an early response in this thread by RFGuy: "...it would be the end of the Mark 7 and effectively Shopsmith. I don't see how they could incorporate any kind of blade stop technology since the arbor is fixed and the table moves around it." Followed by some discussion of the feasibility of AIM in the Mark.

Regardless I do not follow the 'thinking' that thinks that detail has any relevance. (ooh you won't be put out of business since 90% of your business is not affected) [BS]

The proposed rule acknowledges that the rule could be a "major impact to all, or perhaps all but one, of the small businesses that manufacture table saws. They draw that line at 1%. "If small manufacturers are unable to negotiate acceptable licensing agreements for AIM technology, it is likely they would exit the U.S. table saw market."
Many of the responses affirm that the only viable answer is licensing the SawStop version of AIM. (If ShopSmith responded I couldn't find their response.) But I think it was Grizzly that said that they lack the expertise to integrate AIM even if licensing was successful. I suspect that is true of many of the companies, perhaps all of those not named Bosch.(?) Leading to my next question which is assuming that SawStop decides that FRAND is okay with them, how many saw manufacturers can they provide with consulting services and for how many saws in the time allowed? My guess is that the answer is a very low number, perhaps zero.

- David
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I say this thread is valid, the subject matter is of concern, or should be, for every woodworker.
The information is timely and pertinent, therefore I would like to know exactly what is objectionable to some.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:12 am I say this thread is valid, the subject matter is of concern, or should be, for every woodworker.
The information is timely and pertinent, therefore I would like to know exactly what is objectionable to some.
+1000

I understand there are differing opinions on this forum and this diversity is what I appreciate. I am fine with others taking different views than mine.
However, strong objections have been noted to my posts and me being here on more than one occasion which pushes me back into lurker mode on this forum. Not only that, but I used to read ALL of the posts here and now I am very selective of what I choose to read and even more selective on what I choose to comment on (hint my personal readership is way down recently). IF maintaining or improving readership on this forum is the goal, then relatively new forum members like myself can't always receive the perception from some forum members here that our posts are of no value and that we have somehow strayed outside of the scope/intent of this forum. The Community tab doesn't feel like a community when forum members can't freely express their thoughts/opinions here, provided we do so with respect. From my perspective, ALL of the content on this particular thread is woodworking centric and many of the posts Shopsmith related. How is this not in Shopsmith's interest what was shared on this thread??? :confused:
Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

Ooops. It's back to Shopsmith World for me.
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:27 am
Ed in Tampa wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:12 am I say this thread is valid, the subject matter is of concern, or should be, for every woodworker.
Ed, RFGuy, et al-1:
You are 100% right. Unfortunately, in my observation, “some” have the misconception that they own this site. Furthermore, when other members discuss topics that those “some” deem not important to them, they tend to whine about it and claim you are guilty of degrading/ruining their site. Just to put it into perspective in this case, from what I have read, “some” = 1. Hmmm…I could be mistaken, however I do believe there is a delete account option available on this site.
Last edited by DarrenDD on Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.