Just got a 10E

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

etaubenn
Bronze Member

Just got a 10E

Post by etaubenn »

I like the 'I just got' label. so I went with it.

Newbie to the SS world. have only dabbled with woodworking waaaaay back in middle school. then some 'woodworking' here and there with rc airplanes and random projects at home over the years. I have wanted a lathe my whole adult life, but just never pulled the trigger. had a twitch one day and most likely overpaid for this decent? 10e with a few scrappy extras. but what tha hay. I'm excited to delve into it, but slowly. there is so much to look at (on this forum especially) and sometimes get overwhelmed by it all.

will be looking to start with basic pen making then go from there.
I looked up some info...looks like March 1950 model if looking at the chart correctly.
10E s/n 22190
Attachments
20240309_212126.jpg
20240309_212126.jpg (344.23 KiB) Viewed 944 times
20240309_212132.jpg
20240309_212132.jpg (301.74 KiB) Viewed 944 times
20240309_212143.jpg
20240309_212143.jpg (333.22 KiB) Viewed 944 times
20240309_212217.jpg
20240309_212217.jpg (269.94 KiB) Viewed 944 times
20240309_212226.jpg
20240309_212226.jpg (329.91 KiB) Viewed 944 times
etaubenn
"newbie"
10e with a few odds and ends
etaubenn
Bronze Member

Re: Just got a 10E

Post by etaubenn »

extra bits

would love some commentary on these bits!
Attachments
17112117775944102232280423213633.jpg
17112117775944102232280423213633.jpg (305.39 KiB) Viewed 943 times
etaubenn
"newbie"
etaubenn
Bronze Member

Post by etaubenn »

jaw chuck looks like something I'll need pretty quick. is an o'skool 3 jaw lathe chuck from Amazon decent enough for a rookie? not trying to break the bank either.
etaubenn
"newbie"
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Your picture below has numbers on some of the parts to identify them. Parts not numbered are not Shopsmith parts. It is common for non-Shopsmith parts to get mixed in after so many years.

_
etaubenn accessories numbered.jpg
etaubenn accessories numbered.jpg (191.08 KiB) Viewed 872 times
1 Main Table Assembly with Fence (minus posts)
2 Metal Extension Table (goes on a Tailstock but Tailstock shown on your 10E which is for the Wood Extension Table)
3 12" Sanding Disk
4 Wood Extension Table Bracket (I don't see the wood extension table)
5 Table Raising Assembly (but missing parts to it)
6 Miter
7 2 Lathe Faceplates
8 Lathe Drive (same as shown on the Quill's Spindle)
9 Tailstock Drill Chuck (non-Shopsmith)
10 Main Table Posts
11 Dado Table Insert
12 Arbor Spacer

The Tailstock on your Model 10E is for the Wood Extension Table but is missing the threaded studs, washers and wingnuts. These hold the Wood Extension Table Bracket on the Tailstock. You would need a later Tailstock made for the Metal Extension Table to use the metal one. That Tailstock has an adjustable "floating" center for lathe work. The Fence on your Main Table is also the later one with a rear lock for the Main Table and use on the Metal Extension Table. It cannot be used on a Wood Extension Table.

Item 5 in the picture above, the Table Raising Assembly is incomplete and unusable. Two versions of the complete Table Raising Assembly are shown below. These Table Raising Assemblies are not the common one found on the Model 10E & 10ER and parts would be hard to find.

_
Table Raising Assembly 123-1X r.jpg
Table Raising Assembly 123-1X r.jpg (150.43 KiB) Viewed 872 times
The yellow faced circular item looks like it has the rest of the Arbor the spacer 12 belongs to. The 2 Belt Covers from the upper right side of the picture look similar to the one on my Craftsman Table Saw. The upper and Lower Saw Blade Guard parts are not Shopsmith guards of any Shopsmith tool. I cannot identify the other parts, but other Forum Members may be able to.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

The saw guard is from a radial arm saw. The protuberance is a mount for an anti-kickback pawl, which is a dead giveaway. I’m not sure about the brand.

The thing just to the left of the saw guard, sitting on the miter-gauge bar, looks like a jigsaw attachment, likely for a radial arm saw as well. Given that this stuff came from a Shopsmith shop, I’m wondering if the RAS parts might have come from a SawSmith. I have similar 50’s vintage DeWalt RAS stuff, but I don’t think that yours is DeWalt. Craftsman is the most common brand of 60’s-vintage RAS.
etaubenn
Bronze Member

Post by etaubenn »

thank you for the very detailed/itemized response!
there are a few of them I had no clue like the table raising assembly, extensions, and arbor/spacers. I know some were incomplete and/or not even shopsmith, but the guy I bought it from just had it as a take all like I've seen on other posts.

very cool about your sister machines by the way!

thanks again.

chapmanruss wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:00 pm Your picture below has numbers on some of the parts to identify them. Parts not numbered are not Shopsmith parts. It is common for non-Shopsmith parts to get mixed in after so many years.

_
etaubenn accessories numbered.jpg
1 Main Table Assembly with Fence (minus posts)
2 Metal Extension Table (goes on a Tailstock but Tailstock shown on your 10E which is for the Wood Extension Table)
3 12" Sanding Disk
4 Wood Extension Table Bracket (I don't see the wood extension table)
5 Table Raising Assembly (but missing parts to it)
6 Miter
7 2 Lathe Faceplates
8 Lathe Drive (same as shown on the Quill's Spindle)
9 Tailstock Drill Chuck (non-Shopsmith)
10 Main Table Posts
11 Dado Table Insert
12 Arbor Spacer

The Tailstock on your Model 10E is for the Wood Extension Table but is missing the threaded studs, washers and wingnuts. These hold the Wood Extension Table Bracket on the Tailstock. You would need a later Tailstock made for the Metal Extension Table to use the metal one. That Tailstock has an adjustable "floating" center for lathe work. The Fence on your Main Table is also the later one with a rear lock for the Main Table and use on the Metal Extension Table. It cannot be used on a Wood Extension Table.

Item 5 in the picture above, the Table Raising Assembly is incomplete and unusable. Two versions of the complete Table Raising Assembly are shown below. These Table Raising Assemblies are not the common one found on the Model 10E & 10ER and parts would be hard to find.

_
Table Raising Assembly 123-1X r.jpg
The yellow faced circular item looks like it has the rest of the Arbor the spacer 12 belongs to. The 2 Belt Covers from the upper right side of the picture look similar to the one on my Craftsman Table Saw. The upper and Lower Saw Blade Guard parts are not Shopsmith guards of any Shopsmith tool. I cannot identify the other parts, but other Forum Members may be able to.
etaubenn
"newbie"
etaubenn
Bronze Member

Post by etaubenn »

I figured the guard was from something else along with the jigsaw. interesting attachment though. it has printed info on it...will reply with that for info purposes soon.
a little bummed I jumped into this buy without more research......but, looking forward to sprucing it up over time and probably get the bug to buy others.

thank you for the reply!

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:13 pm The saw guard is from a radial arm saw. The protuberance is a mount for an anti-kickback pawl, which is a dead giveaway. I’m not sure about the brand.

The thing just to the left of the saw guard, sitting on the miter-gauge bar, looks like a jigsaw attachment, likely for a radial arm saw as well. Given that this stuff came from a Shopsmith shop, I’m wondering if the RAS parts might have come from a SawSmith. I have similar 50’s vintage DeWalt RAS stuff, but I don’t think that yours is DeWalt. Craftsman is the most common brand of 60’s-vintage RAS.
etaubenn
"newbie"
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

A couple more bits of info for you. You said
I looked up some info...looks like March 1950 model if looking at the chart correctly. 10E s/n 22190
I'm not sure what chart you are looking at but 10E S/N 22190 would likely have been made in 1948. By 1950 they were Model 10ER Shopsmith tools.

BuckeyeDennis is correct about the one Saw Blade Guard being for a Radial Arm Saw. Sorry I didn't catch that when I posted. The other Saw Guard looks similar to the one on my Craftsman Table Saw.

In the pictures shown in your first post you have a Lathe Drive mounted on the Spindle. It is newer than your Model 10E being from 1964 or later. This brings us to the good news about using such an old Shopsmith tool. The Shopsmith Model 10E introduced in 1947 has the same size/diameter reverse tapered Spindle in its Quill as the Shopsmith Mark tools today and all the ones made in-between. This means if you need an accessory that attaches to the Spindle you don't have to find one made in the 1940's or 1950's. I have two restored Model 10E Shopsmith's from the original ones made in 1947 (S/N 1076 & 1077) that can use a brand new Lathe Drive, for example, as well as my Mark 7 that can use the Lathe Drive that came with my Model 10's. Not all current accessories will work with your Model 10E but if you have questions about what ones can just ask.

In your recent post you said
a little bummed I jumped into this buy without more research......but, looking forward to sprucing it up over time and probably get the bug to buy others.
So, a word of warning - Buying Shopsmith tools can be habit forming.

_
4708-8865-R55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg
4708-8865-R55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Besides other Shopsmith tools, SPT's and accessories I have, to date, restored 24 Model 10E and 10ER Shopsmith tools. The picture above is when I happened to have 5 restored and not sold yet. The one in the back of the group is the first one I restored and still have. The other 4 have been resold.

If you wish to make a Wood Extension Table (like the ones in the picture above) for the Bracket you have, I can give you the dimensions. You would need the threaded studs, washers and wing nuts on the Tailstock to use it and an original Fence plus hardware to hold a Fence on it. Note how the Fence is attached to the Wood Extension Table in the picture above.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
etaubenn
Bronze Member

Post by etaubenn »

I have seen your posts with these...very nice!
once/if I get to a point of needing the extension, I will reach out.

thank you!

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:01 pm A couple more bits of info for you. You said
I looked up some info...looks like March 1950 model if looking at the chart correctly. 10E s/n 22190
I'm not sure what chart you are looking at but 10E S/N 22190 would likely have been made in 1948. By 1950 they were Model 10ER Shopsmith tools.

BuckeyeDennis is correct about the one Saw Blade Guard being for a Radial Arm Saw. Sorry I didn't catch that when I posted. The other Saw Guard looks similar to the one on my Craftsman Table Saw.

In the pictures shown in your first post you have a Lathe Drive mounted on the Spindle. It is newer than your Model 10E being from 1964 or later. This brings us to the good news about using such an old Shopsmith tool. The Shopsmith Model 10E introduced in 1947 has the same size/diameter reverse tapered Spindle in its Quill as the Shopsmith Mark tools today and all the ones made in-between. This means if you need an accessory that attaches to the Spindle you don't have to find one made in the 1940's or 1950's. I have two restored Model 10E Shopsmith's from the original ones made in 1947 (S/N 1076 & 1077) that can use a brand new Lathe Drive, for example, as well as my Mark 7 that can use the Lathe Drive that came with my Model 10's. Not all current accessories will work with your Model 10E but if you have questions about what ones can just ask.

In your recent post you said
So, a word of warning - Buying Shopsmith tools can be habit forming.

_
4708-8865-R55582-R57376-R64000 full.jpg
Besides other Shopsmith tools, SPT's and accessories I have, to date, restored 24 Model 10E and 10ER Shopsmith tools. The picture above is when I happened to have 5 restored and not sold yet. The one in the back of the group is the first one I restored and still have. The other 4 have been resold.

If you wish to make a Wood Extension Table (like the ones in the picture above) for the Bracket you have, I can give you the dimensions. You would need the threaded studs, washers and wing nuts on the Tailstock to use it and an original Fence plus hardware to hold a Fence on it. Note how the Fence is attached to the Wood Extension Table in the picture above.
etaubenn
"newbie"
etaubenn
Bronze Member

Post by etaubenn »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:01 pm A couple more bits of info for you. You said
Attachments
Screenshot_20240315-203626_Write on PDF.jpg
Screenshot_20240315-203626_Write on PDF.jpg (314.82 KiB) Viewed 793 times
etaubenn
"newbie"