Packing & Moving a Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Packing & Moving a Shopsmith

Post by JPG »

I surmise thy experience has been with an exceptionally competent moving company.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:21 am I surmise thy experience has been with an exceptionally competent moving company.
I've never had that experience, but I agree with him because damage and loss claims go easier if items are Carrier Packed (CP) in my experience. I moved every couple of years on average from 1979 to 1996 and my company provided us with decent insurance. In my experience tools had a tendency to disappear, but not be damaged. My wife's piano, OTOH, was very well packed but suffered extreme damage when we moved to Belgium and it was used in a manner similar to a wrecking ball.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Many movers will have experience with packing large tools. Even if you have movers do it i'd suggest removing the headstock and packing it separately, either by yourself or the movers. I doubt the movers would know how to do that themselves. Certainly you'd want to remove the tables to pack separately also, and maybe consult with the movers about removing the legs also. Much easier to damage the machine while fully assembled by it getting knocked over or dropped no matter how well packed it is.

My recollection is not clear about something, others might know. Didn't Shopsmith have a packing box for a headstock they can send for shipping a headstock back to the factory?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

It appears they have that If I am understand the catalog listing correctly. I found it at the link below from the online catalog.

https://shopsmith.com/product/headstock ... or-516645/

They do have a PDF, at the link below, on how to pack a Headstock for shipping. It was last updated 05/11 and is the instructions for using the packing box & padding.

https://shopsmith.com/wp-content/upload ... 4-FREE.pdf

SJErick1972,

If you do decide to disassemble your Shopsmith for moving I suggest you check out the PDF above for safe packing instructions for the Headstock.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.