Anyone making a Mother's Day gift?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tfrayne
Gold Member

Anyone making a Mother's Day gift?

Post by tfrayne »

I would be interested in seeing some Mother's Day gifts any of you may be working on.

My wife likes to spend alot of time in her garden. I had been eyeing the set of three garden tools sold at Rockler for awhile now and purchased the set about two weeks ago. I also picked up three pieces of canary wood to use as the handles.

I don't have a lathe duplicator, so I had to do all three handles freehand and it was a challenge getting them to come out looking like a set; but I am happy with the result. Then I decided to make a small tool box to hold them in. I used cherry for the box. I turned the handle on the lathe, and did my second attempt at hand cut dove-tails. Small slivers of cherry and cherry sawdust and glue were definitely helpful. They look okay but there is lots of room for improvement. This is only the second time I've done them.
Attachments
Mother's Day 5.jpeg
Mother's Day 5.jpeg (45.48 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Mother's Day 3.jpeg
Mother's Day 3.jpeg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 260 times
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!
edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone making a Mother's Day gift?

Post by edflorence »

Very nice! And a great gift idea...thanks for the pictures
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

She will be very happy!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

It's a fantastic gift! Well done.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Nice. How did you make the square through mortises for the handle ends? Large drill bit, then squared up with chisels?
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
tfrayne
Gold Member

Post by tfrayne »

Yes. I wish I had the SS mortise maker. I used a 3/16" dowel to lock it in on both sides, but that was probably overkill.
IT IS I, ENSIGN PULVER!!

AND I JUST THREW YOUR STINKIN PALM TREE OVERBOARD!!