VFD for 3 phase motor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

don1357
Silver Member

VFD for 3 phase motor

Post by don1357 »

Just as I got me an overpriced speed changer, I sourced a 3 phase 3/4 HP motor... It is a Magnetek model 151350-3. I was surprised at the smaller footprint of the motor.

I see Amazon has quite a number of VFD converters. Is there any particular budget-friendly one that is recommended for this application? I don't think I would ever go higher than 1hp on the Shopsmith, so as long as it can handle that i size t would be fine.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: VFD for 3 phase motor

Post by chapmanruss »

I haven't tried a VFD converter or any variable speed motor control on any of my 24 Model 10E and 10ER restorations I have done so far so I cannot comment on how they work.

As for motor horsepower, one of the Model 10E's I restored came with a "newer" 1 HP motor. Before it was completely restored and sold, I used it working on other Shopsmith restorations and other projects including metal cutting. My son used it to cut flooring to size when he replaced all the flooring in his three-bedroom home. That extra horsepower was great and not a problem even with a Speed Changer. It easily cut through that engineered "wood" flooring. For the Model 10E and 10ER the more important motor aspect is the 1725 RPM so you get the correct speeds. That is not the case if using some kind of variable speed motor setup.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
don1357
Silver Member

Post by don1357 »

It is a 1725rpm but as you say it is a moot point. Heck through the VFD you can even run them at higher speeds by bumping the frequency, even on a straight pulley setup I could match the higher speeds of the analog speed changer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

No experience here, but I question the assumption that a 3 phase induction motor is tolerant of a wide frequency range. Or the 3 phase converter as well.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange