need help, what is thI s

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: need help, what is thI s

Post by dusty »

I have never purchased serrated (or cupped) set screws and yet I have them in my shop. Conclusion: they came there installed in some part of the Shopsmith equipment that I have in the shop.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

Dusty,

I found this 2015 post from you(!) and Mike listing the various Shopsmith setscrews & where they are used. It may answer where some of those odd set screws came from.
dusty wrote: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:36 pm There have been numerous postings regarding the hardware and hardware part numbers used by Shopsmith. The data provided in the parts lists and exploded views leaves much to be desired. Thanks to the diligent work of one of the forum members (not myself), many of the resulting questions have been answered.

With Mikes' permission, I am posting a copy of a document that he shared with me. I hope that it is as helpful for each of you as it has been for me.

I will let Mike step forward, if he so desires, to further identify himself as the contributor of this fine work. I certainly hope that he will do that as he deserves the credit for this fantastically helpful collection of information.

Mike went a giant step further than I would have to make this data all come to fruition. He actually purchased the parts that you see pictured here from Shopsmith and used the shipping documents to help compile and validate the data.

Thank you, Mike. I do not believe you realize just how much you have done for this Shopsmith community.

Shopsmith Set Screws from Mike.pdf
(711.52 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

Dusty,
Odds are that you (and I) bought the "everything you need to repair" kit from SS.
All sorts of screws that we would need after we dropped them and lost, on the floor...
Doc
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mike made a wonderful listing of set screws and related information for the Shopsmith tools. Keep in mind that from the introduction of the Mark 5 in 1954 followed by the various SPT's, the type of set screws used in different locations have changed over the years. Some locations have a specific need for a certain type of set screw such as a half dog in the top of the Headstock for the Quill Alignment. Others can vary but it has been pointed out many times here on the forum anything mounted to the Quill's Spindle should be a flat or oval set screw even if they originally used cup set screws.

Dusty,

You said
I have never purchased serrated (or cupped) set screws and yet I have them in my shop. Conclusion: they came there installed in some part of the Shopsmith equipment that I have in the shop.
Your conclusion is true there are cupped set screws used on Shopsmith Mark Models. Way tubes held into the Bench Ends come to mind.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:14 pm

Your conclusion is true there are cupped set screws used on Shopsmith Mark Models. Way tubes held into the Bench Ends come to mind.
Can't check it right now but I think the way tubes for a double tilt have cupped or possibly serrated ends.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I believe the subject is quill shaft set screws. I can agree that drive hubs on either rear shaft or SPTs need to be cup or serrated cup tips.

Other locations used for holding parts in assemblies also need to be cup . . .

Not yet mentioned is proper length will vary.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange