speed changer center bit stuck

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Re: speed changer center bit stuck

Post by HopefulSSer »

I totally get the engineering of that, but they seem to be saying "you should never turn it past 5, except when you should". That's of course NOT in fact what they're saying, but it could certainly be confusing!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That explanation makes wonder what the correct range of new 1/2" shorter belts is. ;>}

Ya I do realize that explanation assumes the initial setup is unchanged during the subsequent belt stretching.

I can also see why the numbers were prudently removed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John,

Thanks for posting the explanation of the original 0 to 8 Indicator scale. I have to guess that it did not work out as well as the engineers originally planned. It seems that a lot of belt stretching would have to occur to get to the 3 to 8 range. Having my other Shopsmith's (Mark V 520 and 7) I don't run my Model 10ER with the Speed Changer enough to test the need to readjust the indicator scale because of belt stretching.

More Speed Changer 101

On page 2 of the manual I linked in my previous post under Care of your Speed Changer item 3 it says, " The calibrated Speed Changer scale is slotted and movable." It is the way to zero the Indicator Scale. As said before item 4 no longer applies and the outer sheaves of the Floating Pulley Assembly have to be adjusted by the owner. Belt wear and stretching over time would then necessitate adjusting the outer sheaves to get correct speeds. Initially adjusting the outer sheaves, motor height and the indicator scale will correct for the difference between the original belt size of 22-1/2" and 25-1/2" and the use of 22" and 25" belts. I use 22" and 25" belts on my Speed Changers and have supplied them on all the ones sold with my Model 10 restorations.

This may be a good time to make the PDF of the Speed Changer Chart replica available again.

_
Speed Changer Chart - single.pdf
(9.79 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
I keep a laminated copy of that chart for reference on the bench of my Model 10ER as shown below.

_
R64000 with Jointer and Jigsaw.jpg
R64000 with Jointer and Jigsaw.jpg (88.57 KiB) Viewed 115 times
For anyone wondering, that extra 5" pulley on the end of the motor shaft is for the Jointer.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.