mid-'50s shopsmith disassembling and cleaning -- help

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

A lot of us use 3 in 1 Oil. I have no idea what the difference is.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'd try an Ace Hardware for the turbine oil.

Ed

edward wrote:Pics are great. Any recommendations on oil for lubricating? Bill said a turbine oil, but I can't find it.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I was unable to find the turbine oil anywhere locally. I ordered it from Shopsmith on March 11 and received it on the 13th. Who says Friday the 13th isn't a lucky day.

Item # is 522053 They call it Zoom Spout Oiler. The bottle label calls it Turbine oil. The spout on that little bottle pulls waaay out. You can reach anywhere you want to with it. $3.04 each. Such a deal and terrific service to boot. fjimp:D
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
edward
Gold Member

Post by edward »

I'm just going with the three-in-one for now. Need to get this thing working this weekend. I'm going to finish cleaning today, and the try to press those bearings, beginning with motor. If the motor sounds good I'll move on to the rest.

Still wondering if anyone has a diagram of the wiring on 3/4 hp greenie motor. Thanks folks.
Violence is not violent enough. -- Zizek :confused:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The oil used by HVAC folks to oil motor bearings is sometimes referred to as 'turbine' oil. Three in one is similar(but with its distinctive 'perfume'). The 'zoom spout' bottle is common with these folks also. I got my bottle at Do It Best hardware. SS used to say #10 weight.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

edward wrote:I'm just going with the three-in-one for now. Need to get this thing working this weekend. I'm going to finish cleaning today, and the try to press those bearings, beginning with motor. If the motor sounds good I'll move on to the rest.

Still wondering if anyone has a diagram of the wiring on 3/4 hp greenie motor. Thanks folks.
Hopefully you can follow this picture for the wiring. The motor # is the same as yours.

[ATTACH]3527[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]3528[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img_4892mod1.jpg
Img_4892mod1.jpg (71.89 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
Img_4892mod.jpg
Img_4892mod.jpg (59.93 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
etc92guy
Gold Member

Motor Diagram

Post by etc92guy »

Edward - I apologize for the delay in this.....got hammered into the ground with work.

There should be 3 wires coming out of the motor: yellow, brown, and black. I may be off on the dark colors because I'm working in a shop area with one fluorescent fixture.

The colors for the power cord are from the original 1956 cord. Your new cord, I'm guessing, is white, black and green. White=tan, black=black, and green gets a spade connector and is attached to one of the bolts that hold the motor together.

When I pulled mine apart, I marked the capacitor lug that runs from relay connector 1 to the capacitor with a "+" sign. You obviously didn't do that.:p Since this is all AC, it shouldn't matter which capacitor connector is used, but I'm not a electrical engineer ( just know enough to be dangerous :rolleyes: ). I'm calling on this forum to weigh in here and confirm this.

Promised diagram below.

[ATTACH]3531[/ATTACH]

And guess what? My Shopsmith is still in pieces.
Attachments

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The drawing matches the pix. The capacitor is non-polarized, therefore terminal polarity doesn't matter. Wire colors seem to vary. pix motor leads appear to be white/blue/brown or red. Jumper between relay and capacitor appears to be black.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:The drawing matches the pix. The capacitor is non-polarized, therefore terminal polarity doesn't matter. Wire colors seem to vary. pix motor leads appear to be white/blue/brown or red. Jumper between relay and capacitor appears to be black.
So glad to have an electrical engineer in the group!

How come there is a capacitor on the motor? What's the relay do?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Edward,

Make sure to go see my thread on using the Harbor Freight Puller for your bearing install.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=3192
Mike
Sunny San Diego