What does the "Carriage Stop Ring" stop?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Where pray tell does one get ODORLESS Mineral Spirits? It IS a petroleum distillate after all!
You just put on the nose plugs that are taped to the bottom of the can....they works get. They guarantee you won't smell a thing.

Home Depot and Lowe's both carry it. It is misleading advertising. It's odor reduced as compared to regular mineral spirits but to call it odorless is a stretch.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:You just put on the nose plugs that are taped to the bottom of the can....they works get. They guarantee you won't smell a thing.

Home Depot and Lowe's both carry it. It is misleading advertising. It's odor reduced as compared to regular mineral spirits but to call it odorless is a stretch.
Think I'll stick with Vick's Vaporub(works for the coroner!).:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ksdaddio
Gold Member

Post by ksdaddio »

I can still remember the first time this happened to me. It sent shivers up my spine, just like the sound of a childs head hitting the floor after a bad fall. Fortunately nothing broke except my pride for being so stupid. I was lucky that I didn't have a vital body part in the way, or it could have caused a serious injury.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ksdaddio wrote:I can still remember the first time this happened to me. It sent shivers up my spine, just like the sound of a childs head hitting the floor after a bad fall. Fortunately nothing broke except my pride for being so stupid. I was lucky that I didn't have a vital body part in the way, or it could have caused a serious injury.
After doing this a couple times without having a catastrophe, I have sort of learned BUT

the introduction of the lift assist sort of increases the potential for damage. Without the lift assist, one must exert more effort to lift the headstock to the vertical position. With a lift assist installed, the effort to go vertical is much less and can even happen without human intervention if the headstock is to the right of center on the way tubes.

POINT: There is no rubber "Carriage Stop Ring" on that side of the carriage or headstock. Is there suppose to be one?

Maybe I am reading this entire thread completely wrong!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ksdaddio wrote:I can still remember the first time this happened to me. It sent shivers up my spine, just like the sound of a childs head hitting the floor after a bad fall. Fortunately nothing broke except my pride for being so stupid. I was lucky that I didn't have a vital body part in the way, or it could have caused a serious injury.
I am sorry but I don't understand. What happened that was so shocking?:confused:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dusty wrote:I am sorry but I don't understand. What happened that was so shocking?:confused:
I think he's talking about my post #5

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpos ... ostcount=5
Mike
Sunny San Diego
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mickyd wrote:I think he's talking about my post #5

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpost.htm?p=33040&postcount=5
OK, I see the damage but I have a hard time invisioning that piece being broken out as a result of either the carriage slamming against the base assembly or the headstock slamming against the carriage.

The impact would all be absorbed by the metal immediately around the tubes rather than out in the middle as seen in the photo. Unless, of course, there is something to this picture that I don't see.

Example: we have had some discussion about using a small bottle jack to position the carriage when in the vertical mode. I can see this sort of damage from that sort of pressure being applied to the side wall of the carriage.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dusty wrote:OK, I see the damage but I have a hard time envisioning that piece being broken out as a result of either the carriage slamming against the base assembly or the headstock slamming against the carriage.

The impact would all be absorbed by the metal immediately around the tubes rather than out in the middle as seen in the photo. Unless, of course, there is something to this picture that I don't see.

Example: we have had some discussion about using a small bottle jack to position the carriage when in the vertical mode. I can see this sort of damage from that sort of pressure being applied to the side wall of the carriage.
If you not thoroughly familiar with the "Greenie", I can see how you would have a hard time envisioning how the damage occurred. Here's couple pics that should help you. Notice in the 2D view of the carriage that it has an adjustable. I believe the design intent of this is to allow you to get the carriage up to the headstock at a predetermined limit. If you have to later move the carriage, you can reposition it exactly where it was previously. With the set screw OUT, it actually comes in contact with the headstock. The piece that is broken off has the set screw. If the table is off the machine when you place it in the vertical position, and the head drops.......guess where the first contact point is. Pressure = Force / Area takes it from there.:(

Your envisionment more gooder now?

[ATTACH]3550[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]3548[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img_4851MOD.jpg
Img_4851MOD.jpg (41.62 KiB) Viewed 6986 times
CARRIAGE1.jpg
CARRIAGE1.jpg (20.77 KiB) Viewed 6984 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mickyd wrote:If you not thoroughly familiar with the "Greenie", I can see how you would have a hard time envisioning how the damage occurred. Here's couple pics that should help you. Notice in the 2D view of the carriage that it has an adjustable. I believe the design intent of this is to allow you to get the carriage up to the headstock at a predetermined limit. If you have to later move the carriage, you can reposition it exactly where it was previously. With the set screw OUT, it actually comes in contact with the headstock. The piece that is broken off has the set screw. If the table is off the machine when you place it in the vertical position, and the head drops.......guess where the first contact point is. Pressure = Force / Area takes it from there.:(

Your envisionment more gooder now?

[ATTACH]3550[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]3548[/ATTACH]
Yup, I can see it now. All of the impact force is applied to the set screw and transferred directly to the casting that is the carriage. Thank you for your explanation. I have used a greenie but not enough to be well aware of issues such as this.

I think I would eliminate the set screw and utilize something similar to the carriage stop ring even if I had to devise one of the correct dimension.

I assume the standard carriage stop ring doesn't do the trick or all of you guys with greenie's and goldie's would have already installed them.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:. . . .

I assume the standard carriage stop ring doesn't do the trick or all of you guys with greenie's and goldie's would have already installed them.
Goldies got the RING!:) :) :) :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange