Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

thainglo wrote:Great info Mike! Saw your other post first with the picture showing a very simple, useful setup. I'll try that out this weekend, assuming I can find some expansion plugs. Did you pick those up at the local hardware store?

Matt
Auto Part Store more likely!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:Auto Part Store more likely!:)
Lowes in the plumbing parts department. They also had some at ACE but they didn't have the size I needed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

thainglo wrote:Great info Mike! Saw your other post first with the picture showing a very simple, useful setup. I'll try that out this weekend, assuming I can find some expansion plugs. Did you pick those up at the local hardware store?

Matt
You get the expansion plugs at any automotive store. They are used to replace automobile engine freeze plugs.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Lowes in the plumbing parts department. They also had some at ACE but they didn't have the size I needed.
OK! Pipe plugs instead of "freeze/core plugs".:D :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

Post by Shop_Smith_Poppi »

Completed the electrolysis on my bench tubes. Came out pretty good with no effort. Still have to polish them.
I am not sure if any of you have seen this or not but I thought it was a good way to remove your rust on your way pipes. It may take a while to do it but if your completely restoring your Shop Smith any way whats the hurry and it is mostly effort free as well!

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYgnHDB3VNI

I would also like to say thanks for your postings of your project it has given me a great ideal on how to go about restoring my VII.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

shopsaw_Poppi wrote:I am not sure if any of you have seen this or not but I thought it was a good way to remove your rust on your way pipes. It may take a while to do it but if your completely restoring your Shop Smith any way whats the hurry and it is mostly effort free as well!

I would also like to say thanks for your postings of your project it has given me a great ideal on how to go about restoring my VII.
Welcome shopsaw_Poppi,
Nick has all kinds of little tricks, don't he? :D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Shop_Smith_Poppi wrote:I am not sure if any of you have seen this or not but I thought it was a good way to remove your rust on your way pipes. It may take a while to do it but if your completely restoring your Shop Smith any way whats the hurry and it is mostly effort free as well!

I'm trying the potato method on a set of old very rusted ER tubes. I put them on to soak this past Friday, so I've still got a little under 2 weeks before taking them out. I'll need at least that long to work on the rest of the machine, so I don't mind the time.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

heathicus wrote:I'm trying the potato method on a set of old very rusted ER tubes. I put them on to soak this past Friday, so I've still got a little under 2 weeks before taking them out. I'll need at least that long to work on the rest of the machine, so I don't mind the time.

heathicus - Can't wait to see the result! I understand that you had better open the container OUTSIDE due to the "aromatics" of a potato that's been in H2O for a couple weeks.

Were you able to take some good before pictures?

As you give updates on this project, create a new thread so that people searching for rust removal will be able to easily locate. Use a subject such as Rust Removal Using Potato Method.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

Post by Shop_Smith_Poppi »

Does any one here know if it is possible to upload videos to this site?
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

mickyd wrote:heathicus - Can't wait to see the result! I understand that you had better open the container OUTSIDE due to the "aromatics" of a potato that's been in H2O for a couple weeks.

Were you able to take some good before pictures?
Building the containers was pretty straight forward, so I didn't take any photos of the process. But I did take "before" photos of the way tubes. Also, I've videoed the process so far. I will continue videoing when I remove the tubes and if I can edit it into something that's watchable, I'll post it on youtube. I just fear it would be redundant following Nick's video. But I will at least photos the photos here.
mickyd wrote:As you give updates on this project, create a new thread so that people searching for rust removal will be able to easily locate. Use a subject such as Rust Removal Using Potato Method.
Will do! Image