Stainless Steel Bread Knife Blades

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Does anyone know if there is a source for bread knife blades made of stainless steel. I mean those that are intended for a bow shaped knife. The only supplier I know up here does not carry stainless steel blades.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks

John
rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

Hi John,

I found this Web site. It doesn't say if the blades are SS.

http://www.timbertreasures.com/products.htm
Rick Dubbs
2004 520 w/bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC 3300, Universal Lathe Tool Rest, Talon chuck, & Lathe Duplicator
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

I've dealt with Joe Hermann before at the above website - yes, the blades are stainless. Look at my website http://www.manvell.org (corrected) for some examples. I typically sell anywhere between 10-30 of these at a craft show at $20 a piece. People for some reason especially like the ones made from Zebrawood - they always sell out first. Joe will offer you a quantity price break at 50 blades and he will also send you a pattern for the knife handle if you ask. He is great to deal with!
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Thanks for the information. These certainly look interesting and I have emailed them to see if they ship to Canada.

John
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

manvelar wrote:I've dealt with Joe Hermann before at the above website - yes, the blades are stainless.

The website says the blades are carbon steel and the knives are not dishwasher safe.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Paul:

Thanks for picking that up (carbon steel).

I assume the knives are not dishwasher safe due to the wood and finishing. I know I make salad tongs finished with mineral oil and I tell people they are are not to be put in water or the dishwasher.

John
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Andy:

I paid a visit to your website and must admit those are nice knives! I am hoping that I can do as well.

It would appear that we do some similar things as I have made a few puzzles also though not the ones shown on your site. I tend to be all over the place in what I do as I like to try as many different things as possible. The downside of that is that I am an expert in none of them.

Have fun.

John
DC Ross
Gold Member

Post by DC Ross »

Hey Andy, I went to the site you posted, but couldn't find anything about your bread knives, just a lot of info on the Manvell family...
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

I went to the web site and also discovered that it had nothing to do about knives, however after reading some earlier posts, I discovered that you really need to go to Manvell.org not Manvell.com. Nice looking bread knives.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

Yup - sorry about the misinfo - carbon vs stainless steel - I don't ever tell anyone they are okay for the dishwasher because I don't want the finish on the wood to be ruined. Thanks for the corrected info - and yes, manvell.com is my cousin Linda in Maine - I'm manvell.org