Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Shop_Smith_Poppi
Gold Member

Post by Shop_Smith_Poppi »

I read what that guy said last week and your were right he did make it sound kind of weird how he polished back toward him and away or something like that at the same time.

I was really confused as I seen you were as well but then his second post did make a little more since.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

etc92guy wrote:Geez....your putting me to shame. I used automotive chrome polish, buffed it with my dremel tool and called it good....?
Ah but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Others are looking at mine saying "4 hours??? What is he, nuts?"

etc92guy wrote:By the way, my 1956 greenie came with red handles, not black. In your first photo you show a black one. Is it a replacement?
The black handle in post #42 IS a replacement handle that I just got in. It was missing when I got the unit so I had to buy a new one from SS. I'm going to spray it and the original one with a red gloss interior / exterior lacquer. The stuff works great on handles. I used some white on a pan handle and it is holding out well.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Ah but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Others are looking at mine saying "4 hours??? What is he, nuts?"

The black handle in post #42 IS a replacement handle that I just got in. It was missing when I got the unit so I had to buy a new one from SS. I'm going to spray it and the original one with a red gloss interior / exterior lacquer. The stuff works great on handles. I used some white on a pan handle and it is holding out well.
Paint WILL take care of the color. How are going to get it 'shaped' like a stubby 'original'?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Paint WILL take care of the color. How are going to get it 'shaped' like a stubby 'original'?:D
Show me what it looked like and I figure out a way. Love the challange! I'll just make sure I stay away from my bench grinder!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Repairing broken piece of casting

Post by mickyd »

Here's the before and after pics of the carriage casting repair that I had to do. I came out pretty good and was reletively easy to do.

[ATTACH]3685[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3686[/ATTACH]

I included more detail in a separate thread that I posted. I did the separate post to make the search easier.
Attachments
Img_5113mod1.jpg
Img_5113mod1.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 5657 times
Img_5210mod1.jpg
Img_5210mod1.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Show me what it looked like and I figure out a way. Love the challange! I'll just make sure I stay away from my bench grinder!
Being as how p uh co uh how you want to get it just right, I thought you needed to know the current handles differ from the vintage you are working on.:)

[ATTACH]3687[/ATTACH]

I very much dislike the new ones. I do not know whose hands they fit, but they do NOT fit mine!:(

BTW I picked up some citristrip today. Have not yet tried it.
Attachments
ss knobs.jpg
ss knobs.jpg (247.22 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Being as how p uh co uh how you want to get it just right, I thought you needed to know the current handles differ from the vintage you are working on.:)

[ATTACH]3687[/ATTACH]

I very much dislike the new ones. I do not know whose hands they fit, but they do NOT fit mine!:(

BTW I picked up some citristrip today. Have not yet tried it.
WOW, huge difference in the handles. The black one seems too small in diameter. I'll have to make up a wood version mounted on the same steel shaft. Gee, my first lathe project!! A wooden handle is what originally got me looking into "needing" a ShopSmith :D

So whatcha strippin' with the CitriStrip?

p.s. Can I buy a couple vowels and consonants for interpretation of your ".how p uh co uh how you.." statement above? My brain can't deceifer.:eek:
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Matt,

The drill setup I used was buried in a thread "Crocus Cloth Substitute". Here's the link to the info. It's post #14.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... BENCH+TUBE

It's a pretty straight forward process. You'll need a 1-3/4 to 1-7/8" expansion plug to do your bench tubes and a 1-1/4" to 1-3/8" to do your way tubes. In my setup, the far end of the tubes weren't chucked but next time, I think I would use an expansion tube on that side also. The far end just spun resting again a stop and they actually got pretty hot on that side. Even resting that side on a towel to reduce friction wasn't enough to keep them cool.

Let me know if you need any more details.

p.s. If you take your time and make sure the expansion plugs go in nice and straight and you keep the drill RPM reasonable, they'll run true enough where it's not a safety hazard. I had my wife supervise when I did the way tubes because I couldn't get it to run as true as the bench tube. She watched the setup to make sure it wasn't moving. I think it didn't run as true as the bench tubes because of the amount the expansion the plug had expand to fit tightly. It just didn't expand accurately. The 1-3/4' plug for the bench tubes fit much closer right out out of the shoot.
Does the need for two different size 'plugs' mean the way tubes are heavier than the bench tubes? I know the 10e/r had heavier tubes(way only) but was unaware the greenies did. Do you think the way tubes are original greenie?

OR did you or a previous owner put 10e/r tubes on it (as I am about to do to my Goldie).:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:WOW, huge difference in the handles. The black one seems too small in diameter. I'll have to make up a wood version mounted on the same steel shaft. Gee, my first lathe project!! A wooden handle is what originally got me looking into "needing" a ShopSmith :D

So whatcha strippin' with the CitriStrip?

p.s. Can I buy a couple vowels and consonants for interpretation of your ".how p uh co uh how you.." statement above? My brain can't deceifer.:eek:
The new one IS too small. That is what I dislike about them. The lack of the inside knobby feel is also a dislike. It is too small when you need to turn it to tighten it.

Will be stripping a gray tie rod so I can paint it 'copper hammertone'.

p = pickey; co = I don't remember/ it was NOT contrary:D :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Does the need for two different size 'plugs' mean the way tubes are heavier than the bench tubes? I know the 10e/r had heavier tubes(way only) but was unaware the greenies did. Do you think the way tubes are original greenie?

OR did you or a previous owner put 10e/r tubes on it (as I am about to do to my Goldie).:D
Good questions! You really think a lot. :D I'll check when I get home. My recall is that the way tubes had a greater wall thickness than the bench tube in turn, making them more ridged (heavier) if the OD's are the same.

Update 3/26/09, 4:57 pst: My recall was NOT correct. Both bench and way tubes had identical 1/8" wall thickness. The difference was the OD. Bench tube OD was 1-7/8" Way tube OD was 1-3/4"

Don't know if they are original Greenie tubes or not. Maybe some other Greenie's out there can check their tubes for OD, ID. I know I didn't replace them and am not sure about previous genealogy of ownership.
Mike
Sunny San Diego