Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:WOW, huge difference in the handles . . . .I'll have to make up a wood version mounted on the same steel shaft. Gee, my first lathe project!! A wooden handle is what originally got me looking into "needing" a ShopSmith . . . .
Thought you could/might use after IT is up & running!:D
[ATTACH]3698[/ATTACH]
Attachments
SSKNOB.jpg
SSKNOB.jpg (30.71 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

mickyd wrote:...p.s. Use good quality sandpaper. It makes a difference. I had purchase some odd brand from Harbor Freight, real cheap, and it was exactly that…….REAL CHEAP. It just didn’t hold up. I would go through it twice as fast as the good stuff. Stick with name brand (i.e. Norton, 3M etc.)
You get what you pay for. I avoid Harbor Freight like the plague. I wood rather support my country, it's citizens and workers then those in China...plus, overall, IMHO, the quality is better with US product.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?p=34287#post34287
JPG40504 wrote:........I thought you needed to know the current handles differ from the vintage you are working on.:)

[ATTACH]3712[/ATTACH]

I very much dislike the new ones. I do not know whose hands they fit, but they do NOT fit mine!:( ........

I think I am going to try and made a mold casting of the old vintage red plastic handle and replace the current smaller diameter black one the SS now sells. I don't have any experience in this area but between utilizing the gray matter that's on this forum along with internet resources, I should be able to do a fine job.

I decided to start a thread on the casting process. I am sure others would like to be able to recreate the vintage handles also. Click here to get to the thread.
Attachments
ss_knobs1.jpg
ss_knobs1.jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

My headstock is complete!!!!:D :D :D :D Tested it out on the bench last night. Works like a charm. No blown fuses, no funny noises. This is the first time I have heard a ShopSmith run and it was like music. Took it up and down through speed settings, did a high speed adjustment to the pork chop set screw, and it's ready to marry up with the rest of the machine.....as soon as I get everything else painted and assembled. I was shooting for this past weekend but had too many other things going on. Hopefully THIS weekend.

I'll post some pics of the finished headstock tonight. Took some pics late last night but they didn't come out very well. Need to take them with NO FLASH. There is too much gloss happening. Between the new paint and all that polished aluminum, I couldn't get a photo I was happy with.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Well, here's the fruits of my labor so far. A completely restored headstock. Inspected, cleaned, lubed, silicon sprayed quill rack and pork chop contact surfaces, clear lacquered all interior surfaces, smoothed and polished all exterior aluminum pieces. Hopefully this head will find some legs REAL SOON!!!!! Dying to make some sawdust....gee, do I really want to get it dirty? YES!!

[ATTACH]3748[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3745[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3750[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3744[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img_5249mod.jpg
Img_5249mod.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
Img_5253mod.jpg
Img_5253mod.jpg (57.82 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
Img_4843mod2.jpg
Img_4843mod2.jpg (65.35 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
Img_4848_mod1.jpg
Img_4848_mod1.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 4046 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

That looks real purdy, Mike! Do knot forget to order a new "Caution" sticker! :rolleyes:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

a1gutterman wrote:That looks real purdy, Mike! Do knot forget to order a new "Caution" sticker! :rolleyes:
Looks Fantastic!:) You might want to center the SN plate to the shaft. What did you do with the knurled aluminum collar on the output shaft(quill end)?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Looks Fantastic!:) You might want to center the SN plate to the shaft. What did you do with the knurled aluminum collar on the output shaft(quill end)?
Confession.....SN plate isn't mounted in the photo:o After I put the belt cover on, I realized that the SN plate used spring nuts which need to be installed with access to the inside......... Figured nobody would notice...NOT. You got a good eye there jpg. OK, so maybe I should have said "Almost completely restored headstock.."

Thanks for the thumbs up. I'm pretty pleased with it. I took my time.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:What did you do with the knurled aluminum collar on the output shaft(quill end)?
It is in my YTBP pile....(yet to be polished)
Mike
Sunny San Diego
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

Beautiful headstock; looks better than an original.